• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Punto

bassNspear

I was watching the 630 news, and they were talking with Punto about getting him back into hitting form.

Said he was the next one that they had to sign to a deal.

Now am i wrong, so do you think they should wait and see what he does through the year to make up there mind on contract or not?

I would agree that we should see if his bat comes around a little bit this year, but of course if it does then we would have to pay him that much more. He is an outstanding fielder.

We should sign him now, he is very durable, you cant beat his defense, and his batting cant go anywhere but up. He would make a great utility player, or to fillin for days off, or injuries. I dont think he should be an everyday starter, but he would be an awsome guy to have to come off the bench.

4 --

I hope you are kidding a little bit.

He has a great glove and a gritty attitude, but is a little short in the stick, so to speak. I dont think we should go sign him to a long deal, but I do like having him and is great for "spot" duty and a defensive replacement.

Maybe he will hit a little more but I doubt it.

I wasnt thinking of a 5 year deal, but if we can ink him for 2-3 years at a low cost. I dont know of anyone better that we could pay that would just sit on the bench to relieve the starters for a reasonable price.

True -- as long as he sits on the bench most of the time. To me he is one of those guys that can help you in spurts but gets "exposed" when he plays for long stretches.

I'm pretty sure that they signed him last year to a two-year deal worth $2.5 mil a year.

I felt like playing everyday got into his head. He just tried to do too much. Get rid of the uppercut, almost warning track swing. I'd be thrilled if he could put offensive numbers up like two years ago and keep his glove on the field. Not your typical major league third baseman, but better than most teams.

Signing Punto to anything more than one-year deals from now on would be a mistake. He is not expensive per say, but how many utility players are there all throughout the minors that we could pay the league minimum? Signing Punto to anything more than a one-year deal at a reduced price from his last deal would be a mistake. There is no reason to waste money on a utitliy player unless they are something special such as a Billy Hall type player.

There are plenty of guys in our minors or floating around that can play defense and not hit that will make leauge minimum.

That said, Gardy loves him around, so they will likely keep him around.

You have to be kidding me!!!!! Sit on the bench MY GOD!!! The guy has one bad year at the plate and all of you are ready to call him a bench player. The year before he hit .290. Granted the guy isn't going to stand at the plate and hit home runs or even get hits all the time but he will give you 100% and if there isn't a hit to be had he will get you one by running it out every single time.

I like the guy. I'd like to see him inked to a 2-3 year deal.

You can't argue the dudes grit, and his glove is top notch. Yeah, last year it seemed like he couldn't even drop down a bunt. This is nothing a GOOD HITTING COACH couldn't fix. Teach the guy to be what he is, a base hit hitter. With his speed just having him on base changes the game. Kinda like a Rivas/Guzman type thing only Punto plays hard.

I like the guy. He plays his guts out, but a long term deal???? The guy is a .245 career hitter.

"The guy has one bad year at the plate and all of you are ready to call him a bench player. The year before he hit .290."

That was the only year he did anything. I like him as a utility player, but odds are he isn't gonna get any great deal in the open market, so I think you roll the dice. If he has a great year and you can't sign him, oh well. Odds are he'll never have year like that again. I hope they aren't counting on him as an everyday player.