Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kiffj10

shiners

17 posts in this topic

I heard that there was a probably with shiners around Mille Lacs. That they have gone way up in price and some places have very litte supply. Is there any true to this rumor.

Thanks

I was unable to find any shiners this weekend when I was up. it is true...

On saturday 26th we bought shiners(emerald)at Pats on the south shore.(Isle)Hwy 27+47 8 bucks a scoop c63

Outdoor News reports a shortage of shiners in the state.

If you want shiners and can't find any to buy, just go to hennipin isalnd and fish in 30 fow. We were out there last saturday and the lake shiners were everywhere with the perch. We'd see a nice perch come in and jsut when you thought it was going to hit a shiner would come in and grab it. I couldn't believe how many were down there, and how many we caught. Just use a small jig and red eurolarva.

I paid $9 per dozen. The guy said it is because you can no longer import minnows in to the state. Sounded like the DNR is worried about some disease getting introduced into Minnesota by the minnows. I do not know the details but that is the jest of it.

I know its alittle off puddin, but it seems like just certain dealers are not able to supply there vendors with shiners. I've had no problems getn them whenever I need them, but yes your gunna have to venture away from Mille Lacs to get them in some cases. Looks like I should be bringn some extras out next time im on the water.

The shiner shortage is due to some new regulations, from what I've been told MN is not allowing the transportation of Live Bait for commercial purposes across state lines, since most of the shiners that are bought in bait shops are farm raised, the dealers are unable to ship them. Call around to various bait shops as some guys use local bait dealers.

I have been getting them in Hudson, Wisc. does not ahve the same issue.

I don't know that you can buy bait in Wisconsin and use it in Minnesota with the new regulations. Maybe someone knows for sure.

It is Illegal to import minnows into Minnesota.You(bait handlers)can't even transport minnows without a DNR permit.Again,I purchased shiners(emeralds)at Pats bait in Isle this past Saturday!c63PS,that big bait shop in Deer river(Freds) sayes he'll have shiners all winter long.Someone else said that up near avon or alex some guy has a shiner farm up that way(possibly sauk center?)Oh well even with shiners the bite has been tight lipped with all the perch in the pond.c63

The DNR is very concerned about invasive species specificaly,vhs (viral hemorrhagic septicemia).This has been discovered in Wisconsin and as of yet has NOT been found in Minnesota,(yet)c63

Yea, there was a big article in Outdoor News about a shiner shortage all over the state. Whent the new legislature starts, "they" are gonna look at what can be done to fix the problem in both the long and short run.

half the bait bought in Hudson is used on the croix, and anything that gets in there is coming to the rest of minnesota eventually anyway, so would not worry about bait from hudson. And No i don't think it is illegal to bring bait from Hudson to Mn, by that theory any bait used on the croix would have to be disposed of on the water, which is illegal, or drive back to WI. Either way who cares.

Actions fishing in anoka has about 2-3 gallons of shinners. Just thought i would let everybody know......

Here's your answer....this is what I wrote in the metro thread,

OK, I will clear this up. The reason you can not find shiners in MN is because the WI DNR will not allow minnows to cross state lines right now because of the threat of the new VHS disease found in many of the minnows. I am sure the MN DNR supports this, but I can not vouch for their stance on this matter. Most of the shiners used as bait are from WI, hence the shortage right now. Until they know more about the disease, they are being very careful not to contaminate other lakes and bait tanks. Once they get a lot of the issues cleared up with VHS, they will take the import ban off. I am dealing with the DNR a little bit over in WI with this issue right now in my job. It sucks, but this VHS thing could possibly be very serious.

GoggleEye

for personal use it is probably ok, but i have not checked that out officially.