Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChrisT

Considering a trip to Kabetogama mid-june

9 posts in this topic

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to head to Kab in June. I would like to target Walleye and smallies. My main concern is the size of the lake. The largest lake I have fished was 3,200 acres. I have a 16' tracker w/50 hp and I am taking my wife. I am an experienced fisherman and would be OK with the wind, but I think my wife would freak with 2-4 foot rollers. Is this lake to big for me?

There are a lot of islands to hide behind but if the wind gets going it can get wavey. I have been enjoying the area for the past 23 years and loving every second of it. I would never hesitate to go up again and again. The if the only issue is the waves I would say give it a chance and pray for good weather.

Chris, This will be the 5th year for my wife and I. Yeah it is a big lake, but as Jeff said there are plenty of islands to get out of the waves. I have a 16' as well. I go from the 1st to mid June and can only remember once the waves getting bigger than 2 foot. Only issue is that is when the walleye fishing is best, fishing the windswept shorelines. If your onto fish, she'll be too busy to worry about the waves, none the less you can duck out of wind and go for Northern or Smallies if she starts to get a little sea sick. After 8 years, 3 in Canada and now the 5th on the Kab, my wife will not let me go by myself, she loves it as I am sure yours will too if she likes to fish.

Thanks for the information guys! I am sure we will enjoy our time there. My other question; is this the lake we should be looking at for fishing walleye? I have heard that it can be a great lake. I am trying to get my wife into walleye fishing and if at all possible catching good numbers would help. Although if we had a babysitter readily avaliable she would already be hooked on walleye fishing because this last weekend I caught limits of good eater sized walleye. Also, had 10+ 20" walleye and sauger on Saturday alone. Gotta love ice fishing on the missip! Thanks again for the info guys.

Chris

Can't help with the baby sitter but as the time gets closer there are many on the site that will be more than happy to let you know what is working and where 'bouts you should try. I suggest that you make your reservations asap as the best places fill up fast.(many book same time next year) One thing to consider is a resort with a good dock system as a north wind can do alot of damage to boats tied to docks that are not protected with either a break wall or at least cribbing. Another thing to be aware of is that the fishing tends to move from the shallow areas (especially the west end) of the lake to deeper after about mid June/early July. Lots to see. Get a good map!

My wife and I have been going to Kab for 20 years. We have a 16 footer with a 55 hp and can always find somewhere to fish where the wind is tolerable. Most of the time we can fish anywhere. Get a weather radio, the reception is actully pretty good up there. Pay attention the the wind speed and direction and go from there. There are quite a few islands to hide behind if need be. If it is windy during the day, fish early and late. We've spent many beautiful evenings on the lake and caught fish when the day has been rough. Your wife will love the sunsets.

Chris there are plenty of walleye to catch. The hardest things doesn't ever seem to be catching them, but catching them in the slot to keep and eat. If I struggle some in the Kab, its just a short run to Namakan, where I've found a couple of hot spots to fill my frying pan. As ODL has stated, you should either have your reservations or making them real soon, and yes, definately, get a good lake map. The best thing to do is to not make the lake big, Work a selected area, you can branch out as you become more familiar with the lake. As the weather starts to warm, this site will become your best friend prior to coming for what's working, how deep etc...

I have fished on the big water, including Great Lakes and the ocean, but prefer a smaller lake that is fishable in virtually any weather condition. Elephant is a great lake for eyes and smallies. Been fishing there for about 50 years and last year built a cabin in the CIC there. Several years ago a friend attached a treble to a small corn cob and caught smallies popping the cob(or corn, or whatever).

I fished Nam for well over 20 years and your boat should be fine and your wife shouldn't feel threatened. If I was you I'd look at the east end of Kab around Ash River. You can fish there and slip through some protected water into the west end of Namakan. Plenty of bays and islands in both.

Get maps of both lakes.