Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Retro Active

Bayport Access

10 posts in this topic

I'll be fishing Bayport for the first time tomorrow. Any hints on where we can get access to the river? I'm not very familiar with this area of the St. Croix, so any help just getting on the ice would be appreciated.

Are people driving on the ice in this area?

map removed

The drive on public access to the St Croix River at Bayport is at Hubbs Point which is the red line in the diagram above.

I saw it mentioned that there is an access at Beach House launch and that is not correct. There is an "ATV Only" launch at Lakeside Park and the city allows ATVs to access the river by driving down across the public beach next to Beach House Marina. I watched two trucks drive down to the river through the "ATV Only" access this afternoon and I suspect that won't be allowed to happen very long before the city shuts down access at Lakeside Park. I hope they don't over react to vehicles driving on and shut down the "ATV Only" access point. The ATV users are not to blame.

Finding the Hubbs Point drive access can be confusing if you are not familiar with Bayport. I was amazed at the amount of vehicle traffic on the St Croix at Bayport this afternoon. Everybody wanted out of the house after this run of freezing weather. It was a beautiful day and a fun day to be on the river.

So is it safe to assume that folks are driving half ton trucks on and across the river in the bayport area? Or do you have to stick to the side that you drive out on....i.e. don't drive across the river. I've drove on the river many times in years past but have not been there yet this year...just want to know what to expect in way of ice conditions and whether or not to bring an ATV. Thank you. FL

Lots of ice. 20" plus in most places. People are driving everywhere.

Sounds good...thanks DonBo.

anyone got any tips for ice fishing the st.croix

i moved to woodbury and have only fished the croix in the summer near hudson by boat. is it safe to drive on?

just curious if the current effects the line and lure

Is there an echo in here??

37marine, ice fishing the Croix is fairly similar to ice fishing elsewhere (on lakes), but different. The current, depending on strength, makes your bait go downstream a bit. Some days the fish bite, some days they don't bite at all. Most often the best baits are crappie minnows and fatheads. Don't be afraid to mix it up, try different things. Lots of places are not safe during hard water. Most fisherfolk like to camp out on a few holes around Bayport. These are good places to get your bearings, but don't be afraid to go out on your own and find some fish. Good luck, LB