Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
safarionice

Sagatagan Lake?

6 posts in this topic

Hello.......I am a new member from wisconsin and my family and i will be driving over to St. Joseph to spend a wekend with my daughter who is a student at St. Bens. Looking to do a little fishing while the ladies are shopping. Wondering about Sagatagan Lake on the St. Johns campus. Is it open for fishing? Is it worth my time to try it or would I be better off trying a different lake in the area? Looking at the campus maps, it appears to be a conveniant place to fish for a newbie to this area. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank You!

hey safari welcome! I go to St. John's and the only drawback I see to fishing Sag this time of the year is the mandated use of hand augers, no gas. I was out there this week and there was about 26 inches of ice, talk about a workout. Then again, while I was out there there were a couple guys going nuts with the gas augers so maybe you could get away with it. I just have heard stories of Campus security taking them away. Caught a few small northerns and a good sized largemouth along with a few sunnies. Most people fish the drop off on the western shore, or more towards the chapel. Running tip-ups along that shoreline can produce some exitement also if that's how you roll. If your talking about next weekend, the 3rd of February is the St. John's fishing contest, so the lakes gonna be packed. I believe you can join because your related to a Bennie, I'm not sure if she would have to come also.

(and, just a quick note, no vehicles either. Gotta walk out)

About the only thing you can catch in that lake is little snake northerns, once in a while you can catch a 3lb if your lucky. There are crappies in there but they tend to run on the small side. And also the fact that your not supposed to use gas augers is a major drawback especially if you like to move around a lot.

thanks for the info.. wasn't aware of the auger issues. It does sound like for some fun action on northerns! I would be c & r fishing only, so it may an option. I could also get my daily workout with punching holes by hand. Does the tournament next weekend draw a big crowd? It sounds like it may be fun. I appreciate the info.

if you got an e-mail I could forward the info to you... Yea its usually pretty fun.

Hey Waxworm....Thanks for the offer, but I talked to my little Bennie this weekend, and both of us are going to be fishing in the tournament this weekend! She got the info for me and she thought it would be a good time spending quality time with the old man on the ice. Thanks for letting me know about the event, and maybe we'll see you on the ice. I'll probably be the only dad out there with his daughter, so be looking for me. I'll be in an older 2 person Fish-trap. Again, thanks for all the help!