Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
one_walleye_willie

Big Pike Tips?

7 posts in this topic

I'm headed to Red on Sunday. Anyone have any tips for catching big pike? Guessing sucker minnow halfway down would work best.

Almost seems the big pike come in when I'm fishing for something else! I invested 10 times more time this year than ever before going for the pike and ended up being the 1st time I've been skunked pike on Red:( Then when I went for pike it seems like I can't keep the eyes off my stick?? Funny how that works. That's not to discourage only for me to whine a li'l.

I have made 3 trips to Red this year and used Tip ups each time. Caught some nice pike (27" and 28") on the South side in early Jan. Last week with the cold on day two I didn't set up any tipups as I was tierd of them freezing up. So wouldn't you know it at 2 in the afternoon cought a 34" Gator on a fourage minnow and fat head in the house. I was using a med sucker minnow about 6 ft down in 14 ft of water with the tip ups. Good luck, it took me 10 min with many runs to get that 34 incher in the hole. I would love to see what one of them 40+ would do :):)

img40.jpg

img29.jpg

caught on tipups. top fish is 43inces 28lbs and the bottom picture is myself 41" 25lbs

going back again this year need to find the 30+ someone seems to get one every year!

Were those caught on URL?

I would guess they where not caught on Upper Red since...

Originally Posted By: FearNoFish4:20
#1243200 - 01/23/08 06:46 PM Re: 2008 Muskie/Pike Photo Sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!

_FearNoFish4:20_ _FearNoFish4:20_

Hello I'm New

Posts: 9 How can I post pictures? I have 2 pics of a tip up trip of my dad catching a 44" northern 28lbs and myself catching a 41" 25lbs all on the same 5 day trip. the 28lber had an 18inch carp in its belly that was freshly eaten that I now have mounted in its mouth on a dual mount with the 25.

and Upper Red Lake does not have a carp population.

It's possible this guys doesn't know the difference between carp and redhorse or sucker. My guess is devils lake...however, 28 pound pike might be a ND record? confused.gif