Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
montana49er

white bass???

8 posts in this topic

Do people eat white bass?? i have been cathing a lot of these but not sure if i should try eating them. thanks

Yes they do...just need to remove the mud line and soak'em in milk over night. I personally have not tried em.

Mudline is funky taste! Better without it! Many fishes are like that.

Dare I ask where you've been getting so many white bass? I've been fishing all my life and never run across one. It'd be great to find some thru the ice. Not many lakes in MN have them and they are tough to find the rivers.

Hi folks. Thats one kind of fish i never caught through the ice. What lake is this on. I'm intrested in trying for some. I was thinking of going somewhere when i get paid on the 3rd of Feb. I was wondering if someone be intrested showing me how to find them and catch some. you can reach me at flamefox2010@yahoo.com i live in albert lea.

White Bass can be very tasteful. Best in the Spring or Fall. They taste kinda muddy like everyone says in the Summer but if you quickly cool and throw them on ice when caught they stay pretty fresh and good.

The mudline is simply the bloodline which can make it taste smelly or muddy thats why some people choose to remove it. I've heard that if you drain the blood or clean the fish immediately which gets rid of the blood the muddy taste will be gone.

White Bass is found mostly in Rivers or Lakes that have streams or river running into them. Otherwise they are not a fish to be stocked in local lakes due to their aggressive feeding behavior. The St. Croix & Mississippi are a good place to find them.

i know tetonka has white bass nice one i caught a few 1 1/2 lbers. behind the dnr fish hatchery on the main lake.