Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyematt

eye fever

18 posts in this topic

iv been fihing all winter and have only iced one walleye and i wish i could catch some more any good spots to go would be great or if you dont want say on this web site shot me a email at m_gengler_football_39@hotmail.com

No, shoot me an e-mail.

info@tightlinesguiding.com

i think i might have to do that

only if i had the money i looking for a job

I wasn't inquiring about a possible guide trip unless that is truly something you're interested in. You can just send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to get you on some fish for free too.

Hey quick question, I know this may sound a little negative, but how much time are you putting into this? I know that alot of guys do well in this area for the eyes but they also spend an enormous amount of time targeting them, myself I'm chasing them on average 5 days a week if not more. Although we have some decent lakes that hold fish, for me I really need to stay on top of them or I end up losing the pattern, which is what I ended up doing recently and the bite shows, time to regroup and get agressive again, moving, changing baits, looking deep, shallow, etc I stay intune with a few select lakes, but I will say that I have fished these lakes for over 15 years consistently and still struggle from time to time.

not as much as u i only can fish the weekends do to school all that good stuff but when i do get a chance i look and look

Ya I understand your frustrations, that's why I asked, as sometimes I find that people will only go out and fish a few hours and can't figure out why there are no eyes around here. This is generally a slower time of the year as well, although that doesn't imply that no one catches them, but the overall bite is slower, in a few weeks if the temps start to warm and as the days get longer in terms of sunlight the eyes will start to turn around, they tend to start moving back shallower and feeding more, gearing up for the spawn, it's almost like the fall time with the way the eyes react, that's when I target areas of shallow moving water, with weed beds, close to channels or crick inlets etc, Night is usually the best and if I'm fishing shallow areas it has to be dead quiet with little or no lights on in the house, alot of times a tipup placed off on it's own and away from the house will be most productive. I also run larger live baits, creek chubs, sucker minnows, or gold shiners, but nothing smaller than 4 inches in length. Keep at em and you will connect, once you get into them, remember everything that they did like as well as what wasn't working. Believe me when I say I have had many fishless days, that's part of the walleye game. The other thing I do alot is look at the DNR stocking reports, you'd be suprised at which lakes hold walleyes and noboby targets them for whatever reason,

walleyematt, I am in the same boat as you and share your fustrations; however I don't have school, I have to work. I do get out a couple times during the week but it is always at the wrong time (when I should be set up already, not searching). I haven't really ice fished this much in my life, but I have all the gear now. I think the biggest thing is spending the time on the water...um ice. I have no problems finding fish on open water, this dang frozen stuff is driving me nuts. Just keep fishing and reading.

hello all,i'm from new york and love icefishing,in fact i have the entire winter off and all i do is fish. heres my question,for the past 2 weeks i've been slamming walleyes everyday,now for the past week i can't seem to find em anywhere. any ideas on how and where to find the fish? thanks,good luck and tite lines,,,steve

You might want to repost this in the Walleye forumn, but one thing that I would look at is the weather patterns that have been going on, I will say that I've never fished in your area before, the other thing is if there was some sort of front or change in the weather you might want to look a little deeper or shallower, or the bottom content as well, it's hard to say what happened not knowing what the conditions were prior or what was working before, alot of times if I lose track of them it's usually a small adjustment that needs to be made, just a little deeper, or maybe they went from a sand bottom to the mud,

They figured you out. It's time to move onto the next school of fish.

i have a pond near my home and its a small body of water and there are some nice eye in it its many 12 fow sand bottom shoud i be putting more time into it??

r they woth keeping? whats the deepest the lake gets??

about 15 or 16 fow i could keep them but i like to release them

Kind of a silly question, isn't it?

Get after 'em!

I guess I would know what my next lake to target is, if I were you. Lakes like that are notorious for some fast action during the prime time. I always judge a spot by how many fish I mark on the electronics, if your not marking anything or only a few here and there, then it's time to make a move, if I'm marking alot of fish and I know they should be eyes, switch it up till you get one to hit,

I got an "eye last weeekend but thats it for the year!!