Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigGrassBass

Silver Lake

14 posts in this topic

I was just curious if anyone has been out to Silver Lake by Arlington? I was out there on early ice and got a few small crappies but nothing worth writing home about. There were also a few other guys out there gettin one or two here and there but nothing major. I haven't been by the lake in over a month and was just wondering if it was worth scratching my itch.

I live 4 miles from the lake and know numerous fisherman who have tried Silver this year. My honest opinion, save your time and go elsewhere. Every so often there are a few crappies caught and maybe an eye or so. The aerator will not be turned on this winter. from what I have been told, the lake is going to be used as a rearing pond in the future.

A few years ago, the eye bite was great but, on the weekends there could be up to 100+ portables there. Way too much pressure for a smaller lake like Silver

I know, I was one of those guys who was out there a few years ago. We always got fish, not a ton, but fish. I live in Norwood and usually head east when I go fishing and I was just looking for a change of pace. It will be interesting if they turn that into a rearing pond! That could make it fun again in a few years!

Biggrass, I fished it last night, I was the only one on the lake. And not alot of tracks going out from the landing. If you want solitude you will have it. I tried several different spots, the water level is down and the ice is thick, not much water under the ice for fish travel. I fished one of the "deep holes" and didnt spot a fish. I didnt make it over to the inlet to fish, because I didnt think it was worth my time. I went to a different lake and had better luck.

If you go and end up getting some, let me know, I am not going to write it off, but I will wait until there is some water run off going into the lake.

Thanks Wandering. I might give it one last shot this weekend. Harvey earlier said the ariator is not being turned on this year. Just curious, was it in use when you were out there? Also, did you hoof it or is there enough ice for my truck?

I drove out to the deep hole, there was plenty of ice there. I didnt drive around, I wasnt able to tell if the aerator was on, but my guess was no. I wanted to drive back to the inlets but I didnt want to drive all over the lake at night, when I didnt know how safe the ice was.

Was this the lake where the snowmobiles were racing?

Thanks for the info. I'll probably try it this weekend for grins. Of the couple times I was out on early ice I did manage a few 8 inch crappies and a couple 12-14 inch eyes. If I go I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, thanks for the info!

No different small lake.

Was the water still dirty or has it started to clear up?

Well, considering it was dark, and there was only a couple feet of water under the ice, I couldnt see my lure on bottom. So I would say it wasnt really clear, but the ice I drilled didnt come up dirty.

About 8 or 9 years ago there was a perch bite on the lake. That is the last time I was out there but I know about 3 years ago some were catching walleyes.

I think I'm going to give it one last shot this weekend. Think a nite time adventure might pay off?

it all should be better now that that pressure system is out of here. im planning on a good weekend

Sorry guys, I had a change of plans and met up with a buddy of mine on Washington up by Darwin. We did well on the small 8-12 inch walters.