Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sand_pike

Oil Pressure GM 5.3L

6 posts in this topic

Just noticed the oil pressure in my 2003 Silverado is pegged at 80. I checked the oil level and it is in the normal range on the dipstick. Oil was changed about 500 miles ago with 5-30.

Any ideas? Sending unit maybe?

Yes, most likely a bad sender, assuming the engine is at running temperature.

Thanks for the lightning fast response.

What is a ballpark cost to have the sender replaced?

Is it difficult to do yourself?

Thanks

Could this sending unit also cause it to jump erractically while idling?

I too have a 2003 Silverado 5.3 with the oil pressure gauge immediately heading to 80 and sticking there. I recieved a letter some time ago about this problem from Chevrolet. They have extended the warranty on the instrument panel cluster (and all gauges therein)for up to 70,000 miles or 7 years whatever comes first because of these issues. I had mine in today to get fixed, but when I turned it on, the new gauge did the same thing, so I am taking it back. Chevrolet's number on the letter was 800-630-2438. It must be occuring a lot for GM to extend warranties on it.

I hope this helps some.

Originally Posted By: Rosalita
I too have a 2003 Silverado 5.3 with the oil pressure gauge immediately heading to 80 and sticking there. I recieved a letter some time ago about this problem from Chevrolet. They have extended the warranty on the instrument panel cluster (and all gauges therein)for up to 70,000 miles or 7 years whatever comes first because of these issues. I had mine in today to get fixed, but when I turned it on, the new gauge did the same thing, so I am taking it back. Chevrolet's number on the letter was 800-630-2438. It must be occuring a lot for GM to extend warranties on it.

I hope this helps some.

Good info, thanks

time to head to the dealer...