• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FUEL OIL FURNACE

Cooter

Question

I'm not smart enough to read the guage on my fuel oil tank and ran out blush.gif I've heard rumors that its not as simple as filling her up and crankin up the heat. Re-lighting the pilot and priming the furnace are all horrible rumors I've heard. So can anyone help and tell me not only what needs to be done but if I can do it myself or need to make a service call. Thanks for helping the helpless.

5 answers to this question

Well I called for a refill and the gal asked if I needed the driver to "light the furnace". So if all thats involved is lighting the pilot I should be OK - she didn't mention anything else.

Fuel oil furnaces are electric ignition. You may need to get the air out of the fuel line. Bleeders are on the filter and the pump.

Most likely if you ran it out completely you'll have to bleed the air out of the system. There is a bleeder on the pump and filter to assist with this. You may want to consider replacing the filter element while its empty too.

Bob

Originally Posted By: BobT
Most likely if you ran it out completely you'll have to bleed the air out of the system. There is a bleeder on the pump and filter to assist with this. You may want to consider replacing the filter element while its empty too.

Bob

Just replace it ,, don't even consider it... too many people neglect changing their filter on fuel oil furnaces.. When was the last time you had the furnace cleaned?