Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TonkEye

Tonka Walts

8 posts in this topic

From early ice till now we've fished near Big Island,with good results.Most eyes caught in 18-22 FOW.Tonight I cuught one 14" for the pan at 6:15 and at 6:30 Big Moma Walt was nearing the top of my hole aaaand well a wet arm and no BIG Moma. Nice walts most of the year,from blue ice till around 7:30 PM.

Welcome TonkEye,

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been out. Last time only one 16" eye for the pan and some small crappies. R U seeing any other species out there or just walters? Sorry about big mama.

Question to anyone, especially those who are fishing around Big Island...Is that area accessible by vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee to be precise? I would love to fish that area as I know it pretty well and I have a few spots I want to try, but I would like to be able to drive out to my spots rather than hike it from who knows where. And if so, where do most of you FM gents get on the lake to fish the area?

Thanks!

P

When I drive to Big Island or the main part of the lake, I’ll access right in downtown Excelsior next to the city docks.

I went on North side of Wayzata Saturday with wheeler. Fished Wayzata, then drove over to Browns and then i was going to go to Big island area, but decided to go north and try smiths bay instead. THere were cars and trucks coming from the NE side of smiths bay. There were also cars driving all the way accross the bays from Wayzata straight across down toward Big Island. The snow is maybe 2-3" deep at most, so if you have 4x4 you should be able to blaze your own trail. I'm not condoning driving on the lake, i'm just reporting what i saw.

As far as ice goes, the holes i drilled (all 50 of them) had a minimum of 12" with more ice in other areas.

You probably could get there from Smiths bay, but i do not know the lake well enought to tell you if there is another access closer onthe south side. I just remember this from looking at my H2O on Saturday.

I drove my T100 out 2 weeks ago. It's a mid-size. I'm driving out from here on out. Wait did that make sense?

You could drive out from Wayzata beach for sure. I don't know where on Excelsior to get out from. I should though, I drive by there enuff.

Q for everyone - Ice heaves? I haven't seen much this year.

No heaves that i seen. Just a few small ripples going from wayzata into browns past that island or point.

Thanks MuleShack