• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How's the fishing on Ely Lake?

I am bringing some friends up to our Ely Lake cabin to go ice fishing next weekend.(Jan 25-26) It's been a few years since we've ice fished the lake, and I need help saving face so we actually catch something. I was wondering if anyone has been fishing the lake recently and what's biting, what are they biting on, and how deep?

Thanks for any advice you can spare!

Walnutmeg

Sorry I can't help you, Walnutmeg, just wanted to welcome you to FM and say it's good to see you here. grin.gif

Some of the folks here know Ely Lake (I haven't fished it), and will likely chime in.

Thanks for the welcome! I wish I'd have known of this forum a long time ago.

Anybody out there fish anywhere in the Eveleth-Gilbert-Biwabik area lately?

I fished Ely this week. The bite was slow for me. I didnt move my shelter much, just to cold, so I just stayed put. Crappies and walleyes were hitting in 15-20 fow. Hugged tight to the bottom. All fish were caught with glow brite jigs and a minnow. There is fish to be caught so good luck.

Great to be aboard FishingMinnesota.com

Welcome! I fished it two weekends ago. And im going up this weekend. my wife is from eveleth, so she visits family while I fish addictively! Early ice is always best on ely, but You just have to put in time on the ice to get into them. Last time up I caught 2 walleyes and about 6 perch. the 'eyes were 16 and 17 inches, the perch, small and fat. This sounds funny but everytime i catch a walleye on that lake its at 4:25 in the afternoon! best bet in my opinion is to find 25-30 feet of water very close to deeper water, and jig a rod and set a tip up. lots of them come on tip-ups!

Thanks guys! I'm starting to feel we can at least catch enough for a fish fry. I've been fishing Ely Lake for 18 years and am embarrassed to say I've never caught a keeper walleye. Of course I'm a panfish gal and that's what I fish for, but I wouldn't mind catching a walleye just for the fun of it. I've caught some beauty Northern on the lake and can find bass and sunnies just about anywhere, but my uncle Jim told me walleye were hard to catch because of the large cisco population in the lake. I'm going to aggressively fish for walleye this weekend and see if I can end my dry streak!

Hey walnut, I should be out on ely at some point this weekend, ill be off on my own in a small black portable. pop in if you please, one more tip, small suckers actually work well for walleyes too if you cant get shiners. regarding the cisco population on ely, from what i hear from a relative who lives on the lake, the ciscos are virtually gone!