• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A new AR is born...

Moose-Hunter

Well folks... Here she is...

EBR-1.jpg

- DPMS Bull 24 Flat Top, S.S. Barrel, Chambered in .223

- Hogue Grip

- ACE Stock

- B-Square Mount

- Mueller 4-16x50 Tactical Illuminated Mil Dot Scope

- Cheapo Bipod

- Butler Creek Sling (not shown)

I have yet to choose a new trigger but I'm leaning towards either a JP or Timmney. I'm thinking single stage as that's what I'm used to with my hunting rifles. However the two stage models do look interesting. I wish I could have two side by side and do a comparison...

I'm not 100% sold on the B-Square mount. It seems very well built and holds the scope nicely. However, the height is a bit tall for my "hold". And it's heavy. With the picatinney rail already on the upper, and a million options out there... I'll be looking around for a new mount, but in the mean time, this one will do the job quite well...

She's a bit of a tank weighing in at a touch under 12 pounds unloaded. I'll be putting her on a diet here in the future with barrel fluting and maybe some custom work to the float tube. I'd like to see a final (unloaded) weight under 10 pounds if possible. Still a bit heavy for a carry gun, but what the hey... It's still less that my heavy barreled .243. I'll be in touch with Mike and discuss my options...

Thanks goes out to Val, Tom and the rest of the folks that have given me words of wisdom through my early stages of "black rifle disease".

My first has yet to make any noise and I already know at least two more AR's are already in my future. A light weight tactical with all the bells and whistles and a big bore on an AR-10 platform, most likely a .308. Not to mention possibly some different uppers... A WSSM of some sort would be VERY cool...

Thanks again, guys!!! I know I can always count on you folks to provide great advice and quick, cool ways to empty my wallet!! ;\)

Originally Posted By: Moose-Hunter

EBR-1.jpg

-

Thanks goes out to Val, Tom and the rest of the folks that have given me words of wisdom through my early stages of "black rifle disease".

Just wait, the AR fever will grow, and grow, all of a sudden you will look like you are ready for a war.... grin.gif

I don't know squat about ARs but I do know for sure I'm jealous! Very sweet lookin rig. The little I do know about guns is you typically want the scope as close to the barrel as possible, so if its high for your fit anyway, maybe a change there is worth a look. Let us know how she shoots.

That looks like a Beauty Moose..........12 pounds? wowser, I thought mine was heavy.....

A buddy of mine had one built for him and he went with Warne rings, supposedly they were for the picatany rail on top (wider than a standard weaver rail) They really work. I will probably upgrade to those, Cabelas has then less than 40 if I heard him correctly.

good call on the Hornady, I used to shoot Black Hills 50 vmax, but now I use 55 vmax and I am trying to reload them to the same standards as those boxes on your "booger table" is that indoor carpet on top of your shooting table? Never thought of that...

Originally Posted By: Moose-Hunter

I'm not 100% sold on the B-Square mount. It seems very well built and holds the scope nicely. However, the height is a bit tall for my "hold". And it's heavy. With the picatinney rail already on the upper, and a million options out there... I'll be looking around for a new mount, but in the mean time, this one will do the job quite well...

Moose, I just bought am Armalite 1" mount, I think it's the best option out there, it's spendy but has the right height

Armalitemountsm.jpg

Originally Posted By: picksbigwagon
That looks like a Beauty Moose..........12 pounds? wowser, I thought mine was heavy.....

A buddy of mine had one built for him and he went with Warne rings, supposedly they were for the picatany rail on top (wider than a standard weaver rail) They really work. I will probably upgrade to those, Cabelas has then less than 40 if I heard him correctly.

good call on the Hornady, I used to shoot Black Hills 50 vmax, but now I use 55 vmax and I am trying to reload them to the same standards as those boxes on your "booger table" is that indoor carpet on top of your shooting table? Never thought of that...

Yeah, she IS a bit of a pig. But will hopefully be a good shooter. I've got 5 rounds down the pipe thus far. I'm on paper at 50 but just looking to break in the barrel. I'm not really going for accuracy at this point. Hopefully, the cold temps will subside a bit and I'll be able to get to the range and get this beasty dialed in...

The carpet on my "booger bench" is actually remnants I had from my fish house build. It's a really light weight, outdoor rated carpet. In fact, the contact cement I used weighed more than the carpet! If you ever build one of these benches, drop me a line. I still have a chunk left over and you're more than welcome to it... Also, the green paint... More left overs from the fish house!! Talk about combining obsessions!! grin.gif

I've looked into going the tactical ring route and have decided the one piece would best fit my applications. Notice the plurality there? ;\) I'll probably end up with a LaRue mount so I have the ability to mount/dismount the sight and still keep it zeroed.

Looking good, Val!!!

I've kind of changed courses in my search for a different mount. I'm now leaning towards a "quick release" styled mount from LaRue. If the sight was destined to stay fixed, the one you have would be my 1st choice, hands down. I like the way the sight sits lower on the rifle with the Armalight. VERY studry construction and if you look at other mounts, not really that spendy. Have ya seen some of the prices out there??!! eek.gif

BRD is really setting in!!! I'll be on my way shortly to pick up another lower for my next build!!! Will the madness EVER stop? crazy.gif

Moose, my "Booger bench" has a nice Watco's oil finish on it. I made a second one with red oak plywood and it satined out beautifully. I have contemplated getting a 243 wssm or 25 wssm upper for mine, but I just bought a 243 so I now have my deer/speed goat/windy coyote/borrowing coyote hunting/praire dog rifle while the AR cools down.

Moose did you paint that 243 stock yourself? how difficult was that to do....I remember seeing it on predators.....

Well... Didn't we go high class for our benches? ;\) And I thought carpet was cool... Seems like I've got to step it up a notch in the bench department, eh?

Congrats on the .243! It's a fun caliber to play with that's for sure! And as you said... Now you have a shooter while the "EBR" cools down!

I can't take credit for the finish on my .243 stock. It actually came that way from Bell & Carlson. It's there new snow camo design, I believe. I have seen a few posts over on predator concerning stock painting. Check the tech pages section... It doesn't seem that difficult to do and I'm thinking of painting the stock on my Browning .270 Stalker. You just need good prep work, the right paints and you're good to go...

I just got back from picking up a new lower and parts kit... OH MAN!!! I've got it bad!! Maybe this one will get the WSSM upper. Or maybe a light weight tactical... Or maybe even a..... crazy.gif

Range Report:

We didn't have enough supplies with to set up a target at 50 yards like i had hoped. Our 100 yard "holder" was still out so we decided to just "hope for the best" and try the first rounds at 100. Low and behold, we were on the paper!! 6" High, 2" left, but with only having the AR bore sighted, it was good news!! A few clicks right, and even more down (and a whole lot of cleaning) later the new AR shot a 3 shot clover leaf just a bit high and to the right of center!!! Even with the absolutely TERRIBLE stock trigger!!! grin.gif

We then moved out to 200... Here was where the crappy trigger really should it's colors. After just two adjusting shots, I was dancing all around the bull. In the "10" ring, but the big "X" was not in the cards...

All things considered, the AR shot VERY well!! I shot a total of 18 rounds (before we lost daylight) and shot SUB MOA at both 100 and 200. The barrel is not even broken in and I can see this girl is going to be a real shooter!!! Can you tell I'm happy?

Folks, the stock trigger on AR's is junk. (Why candy coat it?) No if's, and's or but's. For precision shooting, it missed the ship by a country mile. However, on it's defense, it's a mil-spec trigger and never meant or designed to have a creep free, clean break. Maybe I'm a perfectionist, but I can't even see this trigger used for simple plinking.

With the addition of a REAL trigger, my AR is going to be a sweet heart! Aside from the trigger issue, DPMS has my vote!!! And twice on Sundays!!

On a side note... I now have a completed lower just waiting on me to save up some coins to complete the build. "BRD" is very catchy and quite addictive!! Be afraid, be VERY afraid if any one of your buddys get one... Then, it's only a matter of time and IT will get you too! ;\)

Hey moose, any idea of what those REAL triggers will run a guy? I'm really close to buying my first EBR and was wondering if I should just get a real trigger right away and save some head ache.

Depend on brands but you can find them from $ 100 to $ 200 depending on what you are looking for. I have a 2 stage adjustable JP and I am very happy.

Thanks Valv! I can't wait to pick mine up, but jeese the price tag keeps going up and up. This really is a disease!

Well, to tell you the truth they are a "trend" right now, consequently prices will reflect this. I cannot say they are not worth it, but sometimes for the money you spend you will be able to find standard rifles with equal ballistics.

They are a very versatile gun, it amazes me how easy are to take apart and clean then put back together and STILL, even with small imperfections, be very accurate.

The modifications and accessories are beyond imagination.