Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Is the Red safe?

5 posts in this topic

Morning fellas --

Been watching the forum and I am think about trying the Red in the winter. Question -- Is it really safe? You hear about people going into the river every year -- that does not sound like a good time.

If it is safe, where do you try?

Thanks

Hitman

the only consistent thing about river ice is that it is never consistent. be careful if you head out hitman, use the buddy system, and bring recovery equipment, pfd, ice picks, rope etc. river ice can be treacherous, but the rewards can be quite fruitful if you get in to the fish. If I lived closer to Fargo, I'd contemplate hitting the Red... too many lakes around here to fish

Very true -- thanks

Hit

Hitman where we were fishing there was a good foot of ice, but it still a good idea to stay on the cautious side. No matter how thick the ice is it still makes a guy a bit nervous. From what I've been finding it can range from 6in to 12.

Dahitman, yep, Dead hit it on the head. However, with some common sense you can often tell what areas will be safe and unsafe. But... definitely don't start snooping alone and be certain to have picks with.

Areas I chase walleyes at are typically low flow areas that are near deep water. Look for sharp bends and deep holes. Then try find low current areas. If there's wood around, that's even better. I typically target 5 to 12 feet of water- often 7 or 8 feet. Last year I fished a spot where the best fishing was in about 12 feet.

Good luck and be careful.