Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishyScent

Daytime Crappie Bite?

10 posts in this topic

From looking at some of the posts it looks like there is somewhat of a daytime bite on the river. Is this correct? or would the lowlight periods be best to try? How about after dark?

Thanks for the info guys!

One more thing. How many lines can a minnesota resident use on the river in the winter.

Thanks Again

2 good luck

All the times I have caught crappies have been in the daytime only. I haven't tried anytime after that so I can't tell you if at night time the bite is also on. good luck out there

The times I've found the crappie biting have mostly been when there is a good amount of daylight. However two weeks ago I was held up from getting out, didn't make it out until almost 4. I decided to sit out for a bit even though it was pretty dead, I had a flurry of bites around 7pm that lasted about a half hour. I packed up once that died down.

LB

Got out yesterday after work about 4:30pm. Got one 13.5" crappie and that was it. Fished until 7pm without any other luck. Will be back to try out tommorrow during the day hours to see if they will bite better? Don't know how active the fish will be with the artic cold this weekend. Caught the one crappie of a forage minnow jigging spoon,glow red. Nothing off the plain hook and minnow or any plastics either.

Originally Posted By: NAGORSKI
2 good luck

Really, I wonder if you could use three if you held a Wisc. lisc. or if there is parity between the Wisc. regs and Mn regs. Anyone care to chime in?

Tunrevir~

As far as i know we here in wisconsin are still allowed to use 3 lines on the river, there is nothing in the wisconsin regs saying otherwise. Planing on heading out this weekend. Targeting some winter walleyes for the first time ever and a new challege, can someone please help me get started!! Where are the fish holding this time of year? And is there a general tactic that will at least get me a little action? Also are tip-ups worth a try or a waist of time out there?

Daytime go deep water, 30-38 fow

Nightime, relocate to shallower water 15-20 fow

I hate to see that shool of shad cluttering about 10-15 ft down.

Well I went out Friday 1pm to about 5 pm caught five keeper crappies, bunch of small craps and whitties in the mix. All fish came off of small crappie minnow about five feet off bottom in thirty five feet of water.Nothing off plastics or spoons. Taking the brother n law out there today to try the day bite. Will post we I get back later.