Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bdog162

North Shore??

33 posts in this topic

Anyone been down to the shore lately? I spent a few hours down there last weekend, and ended up with two loopers and two coho's. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

Nothing dooin' for me, in the last 2 weeks I have had the chance to spend 2 afternoons at the French & nothing hit my Crawler bits.

Not many fishermen there when I was, so that was telling... Nice to get out though with a newborn at home... \:D

Tommorow its Finland for some streamers...

Later -CLoma

All of my fish were on bugs. Didn't get any action on crawlers. I did see some fish rolling, so theres a few around. Already looking better than last season.

Bdog, welcome to the site! You've started what may become another monster thread. Sure to stay up on the 'front page' for a few months anyways.

I dined on fresh loopie yesterday. I'm almost out though. Heard of a handful of fish caught at French and Lester back when the temps were a bit higher. Mine came from the French and also on the bug. Gonna be too cold to head to the shore for a while.

I did some fly fishing out in front of the french during the warm spell. I hooked one nice fish, but that was it. It did feel good to have a fly rod in my hand again.

Welcome to FM bdog162. Are you ready to hit Canada?

Thanks, more than ready, kind of like deer season, these work days are passing real slow!!!!!!!

You guys should be up there right now! Although it is a long ways to go to get skunked. Just kidding. Hope you guys get some pigs. Bdog, I hear ya! Work was killing me last night and enough was enough. I clocked out and said seeya later! Time to sit inside all weekend (where it's warm) and sort gear for steelie season. Two months and it's on.

How do spoons do this time of year on the shore?

I don't fish much with spoons so I can't help ya too much there. If you were set on throwing spoons though I'm guessing you'd get better results later as the fish concentrate more by the rivers. We might be out there with jigging spoons soon though! With these bitter cold temps we might get iced up again and have some good hard water action near town. The sheet looked pretty good and if the wind doesn't kick up too much it'll happen. As far as open water though I just have too much confidence in crawlers on bottom and bobbers and bugs on top.

went up to knife last weekend got 1 laker out deep jigging then it got windy and had to get off.

Anyone planning on htting up the shore this weekend as temps get somewhat bareable again?

I'll be at burntside, but it looks like we might have some ice to get out on shortly after I get back.

Blaine, Bdog tells me you had quite the trip to Canada. Tough to drill a hole in Fish Lake after that trip, eh?

It was pretty warm out yesterday...somebody has to have a report from the shore! Unfortunately, I don't have one. I did find some time to make some more bobbers in hopes of getting out soon though. Bdog maybe we should start tying bugs at work too???

Matt, you wouldn't have to make more if you'd get your purse! confused.gif you should have an email.

Report, fine. I went up in the afternoon off the French. Threw a bobber around with a bug and waxie. A small handfull of guys out there, most everyone floating crawlers. I did see one fish landed on the south side of the river mouth, 6lbs or so. The guy who caught that one yelled to someone that 7 or 8 fish had been caught there yesterday. Also saw a couple of fly boys wade right out in the flow and start zinging rods, they sounded like some awfully overexerted casts. It's getting kind of sad that when i go looper fishing, catching is not even on my mind. Success is so low, it's just something to do outside

Those fly boys were Illtakewhaticanget (Porter) and RodNGun. They didn't get anything.

Those rods were whizztastic. i could hear the zing a good 100yds away!

I know that RodNGun was borrowing my Winston XTR 8 weight, which is a super fast powerful rod, but can be very challenging to cast if you're used to a more moderate action rod. I was just upset I couldn't be out there with em. Especially now that I'm sitting inside and it's 50 below wind chill outside. crazy.gif

Launched off the beach in Burlington Bay on Sunday went 6-9 with 3 Kings, 2 Coho, and 1 Looper. It was great to be on the water! Don't try it if you don't have a roller trailer.

Drew

Sounds like a [PoorWordUsage] of a day for this time of the year. Kind of regretting putting the old Lund away for the year. Gotta find something to occupy my time til I can get into 10C next year and shoot all those monster bucks you've been seeing.

Bob

So is crawlers pretty much the only way to go this time of year?

Some days crawlers are hands down the ticket but I get most of my action off bugs tipped with waxies under a hothand bobber (North Shore Tackle Co.). This time of year there's not a lot of competition on the shore so I prefer to take up some space and throw out one bottom rig with crawler and one bobber/bug rig and let the fish tell me what they want that particular day.

Hey FishingRealtor,

How deep were you fishing and how far from shore?

Possible to get a few casting from the breakwall?

Bugs, bugs , and more bugs. Not fake looper bugs the real thing.

But real bugs don't have seductive marabou on them. Besides, doesn't anyone know that all that stuff is just supposed to mimic a flatfish? X4 to be presise.