Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snake River  King

Crosby Iron pits?????

9 posts in this topic

Hello I was woundering If a person could access the Iron pits in the Crosby area? Also is there any good trout there? and Hows the ice conditions? I have a atv and snowmobile and can walk to if last resort thanks

Ice conditions on the pits are always a little dicey. There are a lot of springs and with them being so deep they often don't ice up all that well.

There are great trout in some of them. Some are filled with Northern, Bass, Walleye and panfish.

You would do well to check with the DNR to verify if fishing is allowed. As a non trout fisherman, I don't know the rules for the pits very well as they pertain to trout. By that I mean allowable baits, seasons for designated trout lakes, etc. But the DNR should have most of that info for you.

That being said, you can certainly venture to, if not on, the pits easily enough with a snowmobile or ATV. I even drive by a bunch of em in my SUV with no problem.

as far as i know i dont think those lakes are open to fishing during the winter. "Aitkin, Becker, Beltrami, Cass, Crow Wing, and Hubbard Counties Winter season closure on lakes in these counties. Does not include lake trout." not sure if this is only for the trout in those lakes or just for any lakes that have trout in them? you might want to email the DNR or call Karl Hadrits before venturing out there, better safe then sorry.

I ice fish in them counties all the time dude.

So do I. But not in designated Stream Trout lakes. Which is what most of the pits are.

These lakes are designated Stream Trout Lakes in Crow Wing Co.

Allen *

Mallen Mine Pit *

Manuel Mine Pit *

Martin Mine Pit *

Pennington Mine Pit *

Pleasant *

Portsmouth Mine Pit *

Sagamore Mine Pit *

Section 6 Mine Pit *

Snoshoe Mine Pit *

Strawberry *

Yawkey Mine Pit *

You are not allowed to fish them during the winter per the DNR rules and regs.

Ok I did a little research and is the Huntington Mine easy to get to? can I fish that one? I have a snowmobile and a atv so I should be able to get enywhere i think confused.gif

Easy to get to. Co. Rd 128 (Black hoof Road)pretty much puts you on the western tip of it and it is designated snowmobile trail along the entire south side of it as well.

I don't believe it is designated as a stream trout lake and the DNR doesn't list it so I would guess you can fish it.

Might want to call the DNR or the Crosby Chamber of Commerce to verify. But i don't see it listed by the DNR as a closed lake.

Was thinking about this over the weekend. You can try Milford mine as well as Armor. neither of them are closed in the winter. don't know what all they have in em, but I know they are open to fishing and should have something in them worth catching.

I know this is past the time you were coming up, but in case you get out again, i thought I'd try to help you out.

we have alot of mine pits were i live.and no1 hasnt fished them yet.i think its cause of poor ice condtions.they seen to be the last 1's to freeze over.