• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How was the weekend?

The Freak

Looking for any reports from over the weekend. Going to be heading to Red in the morning.

Thanks in advance

The Freak

Fished thursday night until sun morning and caught 7 fish. 1 being a crappie. But I did hear of others doing good away from any noise. But at least I was able to go to JRs and watch the pack win!!!! So it was a good weekend.

was up there fri morn through this morning caught a lot of walleyes prob close to 40. we were away from the crowds on some "rough ice" we found while scouting. we also managed 3 slimes one of which was a nice 38 incher and 2 small ones a handful of bonus perch but no crappies and we spent the better part of sat cruising all over and drilling holes. what a nice weekend to be on red lake warm and no wind. seemed like a plain hook with a glow bead and a fathead worked the best although we did catch some fish jigging.

we also just got back. fished thurs.-sun. and caught close to 20 walleyes per day 1 33'' northern no crappies for only 2 of us fishing it was alot of fun. we went out of hillmans 6.5 miles out.getting off the main road with a wheelhouse was a little challenging but we made it

We were out 3 & 1/2 miles outta Hillman's access. Thur. 4 eyes, explored a li'l Friday= 5 eyes, 1 nice pike, went further out 1 mile on Sat.(4 1/2 miles) caught many eyes, 1 perch, came back at 9:00 to 3 & 1/2 mile shack and got 1 crappie & missed 2 \:\( Caught 3 eyes. Woke up fished in morning and caught a over slot eyes. Left at 9:00 AM. Saturday made up for the 1st 2 days. Outta Hillman's access. Was bad start and turned pretty good

tengauge -

How far out were you? What do you mean by rough ice?

We're headed up on Thursday for the first time ever out on URL. Just looking for any advice. It sounds like it is very hit and miss, but from what I can tell, the further out the better.

Thanks

tjhunter

Well, we couldn't have picked a better weekend weather-wise, it was perfect weather for being on the ice.

We (father in law and I) took off from Cloquet friday at 6:45, hit Dr Tackle in Kelliher for some bait and the "latest" info, and arrived at BearPaws cabin at 9:45. Finding the place empty we unloaded our stuff and took off for the lake in the truck. Decided to go out of Hillmans as we were told they had the closest road to the north shore area. Went out their road to the end (8.3 mi) and tried to drive north off-road. Really tough going as we only made it about 100 yards, but found a decently open area just short of the ice heave. Set up and fishing by 11:30. 16" of ice. Between then and 6:30 when we left, we caught about 10 walleyes and 1 perch, with 3 keeper eye's and the perch. Had several that went just a tad over 17, and the rest were almost cookie cutter 17.5-18" fish. At 4:30 I moved the Otter right next to the rough ice, hoping for slabs, but did not get one hit the next 2 hours.

Saturday we took off with the sleds and Otter in tow at 6:30 and headed out for an area further north. Only had 13" of ice here. Got setup by 7:30 and by 11 we had landed 5 slabs (13-14.25") and our 4th keeper eye, along with a few other "too bigs". Decided to move further west and try another area after the action slowed. Went another mile west and found some broken ice, but only landed one 6" eye in the next couple hours. So, we headed back to the area we had been in and since the FIL wanted to listen the Packer game on the radio we set up for the rest of the afternoon. Fished til 6 with only one more 17.5" eye to show, so we headed back to the cabin. We did get up and fish for 1.5 hours sunday morning out at the end of Westwinds road (16" of ice) without a hit, and headed for home.

Just wanted to thank Bearpaws for another good weekend in the cabin. There was really no one bait that was "it", we caught fish on rosy red's, plain crappie and small shiner minnows about equally.

Jonny P, it was nice to finally meet you 2 out on the ice, hope your guys had a good rest of the weekend!

tjhunter,

We wemt all the way to the end of aggassiz road on fri and did ok but most of our fish came off a spot that was prob 5-6 miles out and 1.2 miles to the south of the road."rough ice" is broken up piles of ice that form while the lake is freezing over just drive around and look for jagged pieces of ice sticking out don't know if it makes a difference but it's all we ever fish seemed to work ok this trip. just wish we could have caught a few of those slabs. good luck on red.

tengauge

Explore sounds like u had a fun weekend. 2 of us were up also this past weekend 2 northern,many eyes,10 crappies. By the way,did your father in law have a wicker basket on the back of his sled?

Yup, he sure did. I had one too, but mine was inside of a Duluth Pack outerbag. I was the one pulling a green Otter.

Which day did you see us?

We were kinda bummed that we didnt hook into any pike, but hey, a good time was had!!

Went out on Aggiz road 5 miles out and stayed in Raveling outdoors four man sleeper. Nice house. Brand new. First ten minutes there one of the guys set up a tip-up and landed a 38" Northern. For the next 21 hours and 50 minutes it was really slow. Total we caught 10 walleyes 4 were keepers the rest to big. Not a crappie to be had. Even though the fishing was slow the trip was a blast. Thanks Mark for the house. We will return as soon as the hockey season is rapped up.

Fished Saturday out of Mort's for 3 of us got about 30 walleyes about 1/2 could have been keepers. Only caught 1 crappie and lost one half way up, caught a few northerns nothing large, but they managed to wrap up the lines in the house pretty good each time. Nice day we were out about 2-2.5 miles just off a fairly new section of road.

Xplorer u seen us on saturday.We were the guys parked on the road because the lock on the door to the shack broke.Ended up breaking a window with the chisel to reach in and unlock the door.Good thing we had a extra piece of glass for the window.A guy never knows what can happen when your out there.All in all a great trip!!!!!!

Well I got my butt handed to me, one of those streches I just couldn't connect. Clients did pretty good but I was defintly eating pizza instead of fish for dinner.

We fished Friday - Sunday and had spotty luck. Three walleyes on Friday evening, three on Sat morning, two more in the evening. That was with 8 of us fishing two lines each. Most of the bites came from a motionless small jig w/ fathead while another line was actively jigged next to it. Also one perch and one crappie. Came out of Roger's and stayed in a Don and John's 6 man, I'd recommend it.

Fished out of Rogers Sat from 1-6pm. We set up just past were the plowed road ended and with 4x2 we didn't venture going very far out, just past most of the crowds. Missed a decent fish at 3:30 a couple feet off the bottom, caught at 29 inch pike at 4:00, missed a nice fish at 5:00 and caught a 19 inche eye at 5:30.

We saw quite a few fish on the Vex though.

BP,

Sorry to hear about the lock (and window!). Last weekend was perfect for being on sled and in a portable, tho I'm not too sure how long I'd want to do that this upcoming weekend \:\)

Already looking forward to the next trip up in March!!!

Was up this past Thursday until Monday morning. Set up Thursday night out of Rogers past the end of the road at about 6:30 pm and it was slow, 2 small northerns and 4 walleye. Friday we fished the morning bite and got 3 walleye and another northern. After lunch we hopped in the portables and hole hopped all afternoon and didn't produce much at all between 6 guys and 3 portables. Fished the night in the big house and picked up a couple more. Saturday we moved closer in to shore away from the crowds and did even worse. 4 walleyes all day. Sunday we made the big move, had someone plow us a road about 1 mile away from anyone. Afternoon bite was slow, but at about 3pm we started slamming them. We had 3 houses out there and all 3 did really well. Our house got about 30 walleye 5 northern and 4 perch...no slabs :(. My buddy John who has only ice fished a few times did get a 36 inch northern and that definetly made his trip, it was his biggest fish ever. The other 2 houses did about the same as us. Another fun trip up to URL, can't wait to get back in February. Thanks to Outdoor Authority for plowing us that road!!! Dave and Danny are great guys!!

SOS,

Actually, the devil IS in the details in this case grin.gif

This "brotherhood" is dedicated to the pursuit of the elusive Salvelinus namaycush, or lake trout. Pursued specificly on Burntside lake, thus the "B" instead of "T"!!

Burntside is home of the infamous "Bash", with the 6th annual event taking place on the 26th.

Fished out of hillmans, sunday, monday, tuesday morning. Very few people on the lake where we were. The two of us caught about a dozen walleyes a day, most from 15-20 inches. One big one lost at the hole, probably 8 plus. Caught crappies through out the day. 3 northerns, 41" the biggest, pretty fun on the walleye rod. We didnt fish after dark, and didnt move the house. I guess it is slow fishing, but we certainly had a great time. Only kept 3 walleyes, just as much fun to catch and throw back, we dont base our success on what is taken home. We targeted crappies, so may have had more success on other fish with a little different presentation.

Max RPM,

Great report sounds like you did great. How far out were you on the road from the landing? How many crappies? Did you break off to the North? What was working the best? I am headed up there tonight thru Sunday. Thanks.

AFarm,

We went to the end of the road, and came back until there was a good open spot and set up there. The crappies were 6 a day, although more were lost. A big group did fish nearby one day, and they didnt catch any, although at least a couple of them were targeting more walleye. Most of the time we just used large teardrop type lures with big hooks on them, with a whole fathead. Offroad travel by truck was iffy. There are spots with less snow, but it is very hard to see the deeper spots, and there is a thick crust layer, so dont stop or you will be stuck. I didnt venture out, was happy enough with the spot i had. Best time of day was from ten until two with not much at sunrise, and not much at sunset. If i was going back today, i would go out early and try 3-5 miles out, and at about 8:00 would move deeper, and fish until 3:00 and move back in shallower. But that is just my take on things.