Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
An Area Lake

Cold Snap Outing

2 posts in this topic

Greetings - first time posting in this forum - my best to all of you in '08. Heading out of Hunter's on Friday - 2 mile - if the fish are tight lipped now, what lies ahead if temps hit 20-25 below zero? Had thought to bring a mix of angel eyes and jigging raps plus fats, crappie and a few a shiners - can't forget the maggots. Also - what about ice thickness and condition? Your insight, technique and wisdom are welcome. Thank you - OU812 - pretty good aren't they!

The cold affects us much more than the fish in the winter. The cold above the ice doesn't really change the temp below. The bite is much more reflective of the barometric pressure and changes. Steady or falling pressure is generally better. I've some of best fishing when the heater is on full blast and it's 35 below out.