• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sheyenne national grassland

surewood

Just wondering if anyone has hunted whitetail in the sheyenne grassland in ND. Thinking about trying a whitetail hunting trip to ND this year from what I've read sheyenne has a decent whitetail population and lots of public land. Can't find very much info just wondering if it is worth it to go.

The Sheyenne national grasslands has a fairly good population of whitetail deer. I have hunted this area for the past 15 years but I do not hunt the public land but private land that abuts the grasslands. There are some areas that do not allow motorized vechiles and some do. I believe you could find out more info on where or what area you can drivwe from the Game & fisgh dept in ND. If you have any more questions about the deer hunting in this area, fire away and I will help where I can.

What part of the grasslands are you looking to hunt? North, south, east or west?

As far as what part I'm not sure, I'm willing to go where the deer are. I was thinking about buying one of their maps which I think covers the motorized and non-motorized areas and public land boundries. Just wondering about the quality of deer there, not that it makes the final decision for me. Just wondering what it has to offer. Are you able to tree stand hunt thats all I've really ever done for whitetail. I was also thinking about trying along the sheyenne river if there is any good public land to hunt along it. Thanks for any info Harvey it's appreciated.

Brent

Yes, there are some very nice bucks in this area. Hunting from a tre stand is also very possible and is what I do the majority of my trips there.

As far as hunting along the river goes, there is some public land and it can be hard to get to some of the acres but it is good hunting land for sure.

Is there any lodging very close by. I would go the first week hopefully that week is productive. It would be great to shoot a velvet buck. Any info on a good place to start looking as far as north, east, west, south, would be awesome. Would a climber work in some areas, I will also bring a hang-on. Thanks again.

if you can shoot me an e-mail, I can direct you to a few spots that could work well for you. The deer numbers are pretty good but I of course cannot guarentee any bigger buck action.

yes, climbers will work in this area as that is typically what we all use. Every now and then I will put up a Hang on stand and sometimes I will also use a ground blind.

As far as lodging goes, one might have to travel 20-40 miles for a room unless you have a smaller camper or a tent.

Just sent me a e-mail and I can hook you up with a map that could possibly help with a few areas.

Grew up running around the grasslands. Photographing prairie chickens and a rare bull moose were highlights.

Deer hunted the river on family land about 90 miles N of there along the Sheyenne River.

Deer gun pressure is intense because of the proximetry to Fargo. About 20% of the ND population lives within 40 minutes of the Sheyenne NG. There is also some state land along the river.

Dispersed camping is allowed directly on the grasslands.

Lisbon and Wyndmere probably closest towns with lodging. Can search motels, Bed&Breakfasts, and campgrounds by town via discovernd dot com. Many small ND towns have city run campgrounds - advantage is potable water and electricity.

There is some good hunting on the state land and the pressure during archery season is not to bad. Yes, the rifle season can get hectic and seems there are plenty of rifle hunters.

I agree on the different specie with britman as we have seen Moose, Elk and a few different bird specie. The turkey population is really down for the last few years but just a few years back we had numerous turkeys running in the yard. Now, it seems the coyote population has increased and those cougars are starting to populate the area. The cougar can leave as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info guys. Talked it over with my wife and I will be heading out there this year. Harvey I will send you an e-mail after this post, thanks again. I would like to repay in some way but all I can do is give you some info on some grouse hunting around here if you're ever interested.

No need to repay pay for anything. Always happy to help out another fellow hunter or fisherman.

Boy surewood you're in for a treat. I grew up hunting the SNG and there is no better time to be out there than during bow season. I've been away for a few years but now I'm back and am looking forward to getting out there again. The fellas above have you pointed in the right direction, but there is one thing I would like to add. Keep in mind a late season hunt if you don't fill your tag. Some of the nicest deer I've seen and shot were in late December on the SNG. When it gets cold they really move up in there. You can count on me being out there this fall! Say Harvey, where did you get that map? Been all over the G&F website and can't find one.

I'm really pumped I've never hunted anything but snow geese out of MN. Has the first week been productive for you guys? What is the biggest deer you have taken from there? Just curious, I always love to hear peoples deer stories and see pics. I think I saw one of Harvey's if I remember right it was a nice deer!

The earlier part of the season always seems to be a good time to harvest a nicer buck. After the first three weeks it seems my buck sightings go down until the pre rut and rut.

The largest three deer I have personally shot have all come from this area except 1 P&Y from Montana. My largest is the one that usually is in my avatar around archery season. Scored 174 if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted By: harvey lee
Now, it seems the coyote population has increased and those cougars are starting to populate the area. The cougar can leave as far as I'm concerned.

I'm trying to put a dent in that coyote population out there this winter. Smart little f@#$%'ers though. There are some anti's that are writing to the local news papers(fargo forum opion section today) complaining about the hunters shooting mountain lions.I've also heard that the deer population isn't what it use to be in that area because of the coyotes and such. I did see a few deer out that way bird hunting though.

Can't wait to get a ND deer tag again!

Oh and found where the maps are. Guess I gotta go to the ranger station or order one.

We have many coyotes in the area I hunt. The deer population is in very good shape in our area. We had another stellar year bot archery and gun season.