Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinbros

Senko Talk

15 posts in this topic

I dont know about you guys, but I love senkos. But they are so expensive and tear easy. Do cheaper brand senkos work just as good as the Gary Yamato ones

i know dietz on the bass board uses the mister twister version and loves them. for one reason or another bass fisherman seem to get enamered with one particular brand of plastic. for a while it was the power worm, then zoom, now senko. i would imagine with a lure like a senko that has no distinguishing features, any immitation would do just as well.

what about like slurpies dip sticks

The main reason they are so fragile is the ammt of salt added to the plastic. Salt is heavier than plastic, so it makes the lure sink faster... and often times, in the process, get you more bites... the Senko sinks fast enough on its own that it creates its own action.. kinda wave like as it sinks.

cheaper knock offs dont usually have as much salt and thus dont sink as fast... I myself use the Exude Comida which in my opinion is less fragile and sinks nearly as fast.

I've heard things like people puting rubber bands around them and puting th hook under the band , it is suppose to help

Oh i also have things called centipedes or french fries do those have the same wavy action

hey bro good to see another rochester basser. I have the itch bad. To answer some of your questions:

Rubber bands:

Rubber bands are for wacky rigging. This is hooking the worm once through the middle. and that is that but instead of hooking just putting the hook under the rubber band. Do a images search for wacky rigging and you will see it.

Secondly Centipedes/french fries or ring fry or many other names they have doe Have a similiar action. I however do knot know the difference or advantage or disadvantage of using them over a senko. Maybe a differnt look.

I personally fish a lot of gander brand plastics or Comidas but have a buddy who swears by dip sticks. It is all prefrance but when come right down to it if i had the money i would probably throw true senkos or there brothers kinamis

you need to make a trip over to the bass room and ask some of these questions and you will get an AMAZING amount of info.

ike

I cant wait till ice is out and i get to try out the new lures that for some reason i get when i cant use them (because there is ice). It funny how the seasons work in the winter, I want to fish open water and during the summer, I want to fish through the ice or go out hunting.

I've used Senkos for fishing Largemouth and they work very well. However like already stated they tear easily and are quite expensive. I found an alternative bait which works just as well in my experience and are much more durable. Called Yum Dingers. They also cost less than Senkos.

i too have dabbled in teh yum dinger land. That was once my staple. my biggest bass of my life has fallen victum to watermelon redflake. Very good indeed and yes cheaper that yamasenkos.

ike

Are those like crayfish looking tubes

no a yum dinger is just like a senko it is their version of one and the name they gave them. http://www.yumbaits.com/lures.cfm?d=Dinger+5"&m=Yum

there is alink to what they look like

****For some reason the hyperlink only partially works copy past the whole link and it should work

ike

The yum buzzfrog i always liked drag it on the surface like a buzzbait

yes the froggin craze is a beautiful thing when an explosion happens. Bro where do you do most of your bassin?

ike

I fish smallmouth in the carp infested scumbro like underneath that bridge at the Y, I do lot of fishing at chester but I dont think there is anything pushing 2lbs in there, Ive seen huge largies in foster arends, and I have a cabin on lake Vermilion up north that you can catch basically anything, I do alot of musky fishing up there