Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PHESNTHNTR

Boot Lake -- Jackson County

4 posts in this topic

I heard there was a Jackson County Conservation League meeting about Boot lake over east of Lakefield last night. Does anyone know the outcome of that meeting and what they are going to do to the lake ? I heard they want to drain it and make it a duck slough, to bad there are plenty of nice perch and notherns in that neet little lake !!!

That would be too bad. I've caught some pretty nice perch out of there. Why would they need to drain it to make a duck slough? there are plenty in the area and the lake isn't very deep to start off with.

I think by draining it down, & killing all the fish they think the weeds would grow to attract the waterfowl.. just me thoughts. I think we've lost the duck populations in this area do to alot of dry ups, yes there are ducks around, but not like it used to be, my thoughts are the waterfowl found the rivers and follow them now do to the constant water supply. As long as I'm giving my two cents, look at the Ocheada Refuge south of Wgtn, when growing up I used to sit down there w/ my dad and brothers and shoot geese, & ducks pretty consistantly, a few years ago they opened the refuge to small game and deer hunting, and now there are very few birds that use the refuge...

Whats everyone else think ?

I'm a member of the Jackson County Conservation League however was unable to attend the meeting on Wednesday Night. However I did speak to some persons that were there and the DNR plan is drop the lakes depth by 18 inches and have already started by cutting tiles to the lake. Many of the persons at the meeting were opposed to that idea and voiced there opinons. There was no solution however the DNR officer was going to go back to his supervisor and explain the concerns expressed at the meeting in Lakefield.