Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Freak

How clear is the water?

4 posts in this topic

Going to be making the first trip of the year to Red next week and was wondering how clear the water is. Should I bring the underwater camera with or just leave it at home?

I don't know about this year, but last year I brought my camera and was able to see just fine down there. There was no snow on the ice which allowed more light through. My father was using the camera to watch his crappie minnow swim around when a 34" pike slammed it. We were in 13-14 fow.

You can see prety good with a camera. Yesterday we used a camera to locate a dropped weding ring...could see it just fine, getting it out is another story.

I know on sunny days with some of the snow removed along side the house we can see the jigs on the other side of a 16x24 sleeper house and some areas you can only see three feet.

The water looks really clear to me this year. Last night in a house we have, you could see your jig and the bottom just before sundown. I've never heard of this on red before now.