Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BOD

Large/Jumbo Shiners

17 posts in this topic

Large or Jumbo Shiners are getting hard to come by.

Does anyone know a metro store that has them?

Thank you.

Hardy's on Medicine Lake has or had big ones last week. I got one that was a good 4 inches in the bag.

WHOA, hold on here ! Although there may be an occasional large shiner in the bunch, most of them are small to medium. That is just the way it is, I cannot get any of the larger shiners, I'm sorry.

Lakeman :crazy

Yeah, I'm sorry. I should have pointed that out. It was just one that was about 4 inches. The rest were pretty normal.

Hey Joe, i was the guy wiping your truck today at the car wash. I'm the manager there. I almost do need a ladder for that monster of a truck you got.

I heard from a buddy that there not letting them sell big shiners because of some skin diseases. I think he read that in the outdoor news.

The way I understand it is that their is a new law in place that will not allow minnows to be transported over state lines. I guess lots of baitshops got their shiner minnows from other states.

I did a little research on this on found that Minnesota has had a ban on minnow import for a LONG time. My understanding is that the DNR is more aggresive in enforcing the law now in light of various fish diseases and incidental transport of exotic species. From what I have read, the baitfish industry is trying to sue the State on grounds of violating interstate commerce liberties. Hopefully, something positive (i.e.-the ability to get shiners again) will come out of it. Look out folks-it seems that little by little the anti's are chipping away at our freedoms. It may not seem related, but things like this is a backdoor route to furthering their agenda.

Anybody know where you can get shiners in the north metro? They are pretty scarce around these parts right now.

Tunrevir~

I know that Cabin Fever out west ( Victoria) has some good size shiners.

Originally Posted By: john.wells
Look out folks-it seems that little by little the anti's are chipping away at our freedoms. It may not seem related, but things like this is a backdoor route to furthering their agenda.

Yep, before you know it, the government's plan will be complete and they will have run those shady baitshop owners out of our state. Then they'll move on to taking your guns away......

I just want to know, why can't we grow big shiners in MN?

Look out folks-it seems that little by little the anti's are chipping away at our freedoms. It may not seem related, but things like this is a backdoor route to furthering their agenda.

Yes indeedy. Them rotten antis. Trying to keep exotics & VHS from infecting MN waters. Who cares about that when I can't get a decent sized shiner? crazy.gif

There's TONS of 'em in Medicine Lake - I've caught lots thinking I was over crappies.

they are hard to come by, found a bait shop in newport that had some big golden ones 4-5 inches if not got to go across the river and get them

Originally Posted By: Maximum12
Yes indeedy. Them rotten antis. Trying to keep exotics & VHS from infecting MN waters. Who cares about that when I can't get a decent sized shiner? crazy.gif

Quite correct. If some of us think it's inconvenient here, it's worse in WI. They're not allowed to transport store bought bait from one lake to another, or leave a lake with bait still alive. If you buy a dozen shiners or a scoop of fatheads, crappie minnows, etc., if you carry them onto a lake, you may not take them from the lake alive. I'm sure most of us will use a bucket of bait for a week or more. VHS is a huge potential problem that anglers need to take seriously.

I agree with keeping the exotics out of our waters. It is a huge problem. With the proper controls, though, it would be easy to certify minnow wholesalers as having disease free bait. It is in their best interest as wholesalers to do so. My comment about the anti's may seem off base (for sure a little out of context), but there are people out there who would love to see all hunting, fishing, trapping, and use of motorized vehicles banned. Lobbyists for these "pro wildlife" (anti people) clubs have a huge influence (deep pockets) on our elected officials. The best strategy they can use is to slowly get us used to sacrificing our rights by getting lawmakers to pass bills that limit/restrict/ban opportunities for all of us to engage in what we hold near and dear to our hearts. I hope I never have to say I told you so, but I fear someday I will.

Originally Posted By: bruiser
they are hard to come by, found a bait shop in newport that had some big golden ones 4-5 inches if not got to go across the river and get them

Shhhh \:D FYI to anyone who hasn't gone into the Newport bait shop for awhile, it's moving about a block south at the end of January to the old Manna Thrift Store location. They've got it posted in the store as well.

My comment about the anti's may seem off base (for sure a little out of context), but there are people out there who would love to see all hunting, fishing, trapping, and use of motorized vehicles banned. Lobbyists for these "pro wildlife" (anti people) clubs have a huge influence (deep pockets) on our elected officials. The best strategy they can use is to slowly get us used to sacrificing our rights by getting lawmakers to pass bills that limit/restrict/ban opportunities for all of us to engage in what we hold near and dear to our hearts. I hope I never have to say I told you so, but I fear someday I will.

Talk about paranoia. "Those darn hippies want to take all of our fun away!" I feel sorry for those of you who think that other people have nothing better to do than worry about what you do with your free time.

The point that often gets overlooked by conspiracy theorists is that we, the primary users and stewards of our outdoor resources, do have a responsibility to use it wisely and to do the things necessary to leave the resources in the same shape (or better) than when we found it. If people were doing these things there wouldn't be a need for the government to get involved at all. If we were, as sportsman, more concerned and better at the 'leave no trace' aspects of outdoors adventurism I think the issues from which this unfound paranoia stems would be moot.

How many times have you heard someone complain about the ships in the great lakes emptying their ballast waters into the lakes and filling them with Zebra muscles and Gobys etc. Now, you as fisherman can stop doing the same thing and stop the introduction of invasive species.

The paranoia and selfishness of some people just amazes me sometimes. Not you specifically John, but comments and and attitudes like this really do undermine so much of what being a sportsman is about.