Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luv2fish

Wheelhouse and first trip to Mille Lacs

8 posts in this topic

I have never ice fished Mille Lacs before, and have a new 16' wheelhouse. We had it up on Red after christmas and had a blast. Now myself and a couple of buddies have a kitchen pass for next weekend. We would like to try Mille Lacs. Any resorts out there that cater to wheelhouses (plow me a spot off the road for a fee)? I have a 4 wheeler, but have not pulled the house with it yet. So if there is enough ice I would love to pull it with my truck. Then use the wheeler to check out other parts of the lake.

Thanks in advance

I think any of the 3 sponsers at the top of this page would be happy to accomodate you. You will likely have to pay extra to have them plow for you.

Just as general advice If you plan on pulling the house much with the 4 wheeler consider buying a set of chains for the back tires. They help alot.

Jay at Wilderness Warmth has roads that are being driven out on by half tons, and smaller skid houses are going out, but I haven't seen very many pickups pulling wheel houses at all. The road is good, so pulling with wheeler would not be a problem, tho. See the other posting I replied to here a little while ago about Wilderness Warmth for ice condition and ice road details from Tuesday. Jay will bust the road berm open and make a driveway for a fee, we got a nice sized drive and spot plowed for a 20-spot. Look for his F-250 with big yellow V-plow or a Suzuki Samurai with a straight plow. You will likely need blocking, we've been over by Anderson's reef and toward Mazominee point in our skidhouse, and had a couple-few inches of flooding in both spots.

Why is it that you have to pay for the roads, then pay again to have the piles of snow created by the road clearing? Kinda sounds like a government deal. Kinda bogus if you ask me.

Yeah, it might. But what you will hear on here is that's the way the resorts make some of their money in the winter. PLUS you're getting a custom plow job to your own spot. PLUS gas isn't cheaper for the resort owners. PLUS you don't have to go up there if you don't want to.

Otis, you could always buy your own plow and bring it up if you think that is cheaper...?

Its a service industry, and where there is equipment involved it is not cheap.

we have roads out about 2.5 miles to kings hump,little king,and kings finger.we would be more then happy to plow a spot for your wheel house,just give us a call at 1-877-ICE-TRIP thanks (JAY)