Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin4aLivin

White Bear Lake

16 posts in this topic

Going out to WBL on Saturday with a buddy and just wondering if anyone can give me a report. We will be targeting Walleyes and Crappies. I have never fished it before so a starting point would be great.

Thanks

I was out on White Bear last night....two words describe how I feel about that body of water right now..."Dog Balls". I marked one fish all night and we moved three times. We fished the Southeast part of the lake. Was out there on Monday also....two tiny Northerns on the tip ups. I know that there are fish in there....just a slow bite for me right now.

Quote:

..."Dog Balls".

Hey tip_up, Is that what you used for bait?!? Sounds slow, might need to break out the chicken lips... What depths were you working last night??

Hey fishin, see you tomorrow, I'll bring the beer this time.. LB

I was out last evening just off from Bellaire. There is a nice plowed trail going out to a bunch of shacks (nice if you have to pull anything, a few cars were driving out, but I'd prefer to pull if its not too far). Caught one nice 20" walleye in 14 fow on a jig w/fathead right at 7pm, otherwise not much on the flasher. Next time I will go out a bit deeper. Have fun!

Anyone having any luck with crappies on WB? Have been trying many different depths out from Bellaire and seeing no suspended fish. I have been picking up a walleye here and there but no luck with the crappies.

Yep, was out on the Bear last night "dog balls" pretty much sums it up. To add injury to insult I took my buddy who is back from Iraq and we didn't even mark a fish. Its the first time I have ever been completely skunked.

Well, I must be into catching-no-fish torture!!!! Went out on White Bear again last night and once again got skunked! "Dog Balls"!!!!!!! Me and my buddy, Chubby D put in 7 hours from 4 to 11 pm....from 11 FOW, to 28 FOW....marked some stuff in the 28 foot hole...but no bites! I left that lake feeling like I had just kissed my sister for 7 hours.....GROSS! I have offically Black Balled this lake....could not pay me to go out there!!!! I know some of you guys will read this and think "tell me how you really feel."

Well I know how you feel about that lake. I fished that lake hard last year and with very little luck. I put in the time, money, and the only thing I could pull up the hole were 5inchers, and a ton of snakes.....I haven't been back there this year, but I do want my revenge.

Yep that Just about sums it up for WBL. It's pretty bad when you're sitting out there, thinking about all the things you have to do at home...wishing that you didn't leave work an hour early, when you could have stayed an hour late and made enough money to go to CUB and BUY the dang Walleye.

I would rather try biting my own toe then go out there again!!

Tip-up...Chubby Darter...let's go to Upper!!

TDOT, holy cow, you read my mind \:\) I think we decided tonight to put our perm. house out on different lake this year. I know there are great fish on WBL but we just had to mediocre of year last year, and so far this year (tho we didn't give it much of a chance this year).

Good luck.

Hey Box,

I'm going to challenge you on this one! I know from your posts you know the lake quite well and have open water success. 3000+ acres and a ton of structure besides the ones with "names" where everyone else is.

I can think of several spots I'd try off the beaten path, as I'm sure you can too. Maybe a different apporach in location instead of moving to a different lake is needed. If you want numbers you could go to BE, but 7 inch crappies can only entertain for so long. The VFW area for example is popular primarily because of accessability, there's plenty of areas of similar lake composition.

Do the leg work for me and let me know what you come up with!!!

I'll let you know if I stumble across a pattern as well.

Chris

Box,

I think that if you put the time in you can definatly catch the fish, but take what we told you to mind. Yes there are lot's of locations and structure around the lake, but if the fish are cold then that simply means there COLD!! just have to be out there at the rite time, when they do go off! I wish you luck and hope that you prove us all wrong.

TDOT

What is the ice like? Can you drive out

Yeah, we discussed it again (our shack is a 3-4 neighbor shack) and we are going to keep it on WBL. Easier for us, as it ia closer at about a quater mile from our homes, and we do get the nice fish now and then. We moved quite a bit last year, and will rpobably this year too. It is going out tomorrow afternoon \:\) Hopefully we will be able to drive, but we will place it with a sled/ATV and the drill some holes back to access checking depth, hopefully seeing enough ice to let us drive out directly.

We did go away from the crowds last year for a bit, and did ok, but then went back into the "city" out from Ramsey. But this year we will keep it trying new spots I think, away from beaten path and see what happens. I'm still learning this whole ice thing \:\) I think we have been too shallow too often in this lake, even in summer. We shall see. I will certainly look for you guys's advice and share what we find as well.

Tomorrow will be a "place the shack" day and also a "get the kids out there with the cameras" day, with a bunch of kids who are eager to ice fish \:\)

Thanks!

I've been wanting to spend more time on this lake myself. Crappie fishing in the spring time can be a lot of fun, but the hardwater season has been a different story. The ice conditions the last few years have made it even tougher to get out there and do some exploring.

Well, the shack is out \:\) A good solid 14" (measured with a tape) everywhere we drilled. Cars and trucks are all over the place. We found a nice little area pretty much without any traffic, so we will see. We saw some crappies and perch on the camera, and caught some tiny perch... Mainly just getting shack out there. We drove out with 1/2 ton trucks, and many others were too.

Also went to Peltier this AM and got nada... Maybe it is me, I am fish repellent \:\)