Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnhuntr_82

lake minnewaska

8 posts in this topic

i am thinking about going to minnewaska this weekend for the day either saturday or sunday and im wondering if anyone is having any luck. im thinking about going after some panfish during the day and maybe walleyes in the evening. i have never fished the lake and any tips would help a lot. i will post my results when i return. thanks for the help.

I was in Starbuck over New Years. I caught my fair share of walleyes, but nothing bigger than 14.5". I did lose quite a few also. Line broke a couple times, reel issues & 1 tangled in the vexilar. I was in 14 feet of water. Surprisingly we only caught a few perch. Usually they bite during the day, but not this year. The walleyes were by no means jumping thru the hole, but in 3 1/2 days of fishing I probably caught 15-20. My brother had his house about 100 yards away from me and didn't do very well at all.

I was there on Sunday (12/30). S-L-O-W for panfish. It took me 5 hours (9 a.m. - 2 p.m.)to get a dozen decent sunfish. Did not catch any other species. Nothing on a tip-up either. It did start to pick up a bit around 2:00, but I left shortly thereafter to watch the Vikings lose. crazy.gif

ive been fishing starbuck side alot of yrs and its been slow for walleys.but other people say they are caching them.now on that note i ask them how maney have been keepers. well may be 2 or 3 i say ok. hope u plp are throwing the small one back (say 15inches an smaller)an the big ones back.well any ways no sense getting to far in depth with that we all know thats an on going issue on lake minnewaska for not having a slot limit. but ive caught some nice walleys here an there.but im finding the best bite at about 5 to 7pm but that might change now that warm weather is moving in this weekend.bet ur jiggin rod im going to be out there all day both days cant miss the bit whenever thats going to be but im going to find out.lol.lots of slimmers.oh these walleys this yr. sure are gurthy omg..(thick).well good luck.

Get a good map, hopefully with GPS. Find a drop from 12-15 going to 18 plus, not too gradual either. GET AWAY FROM EVERYONE. Please keep your northerns. The last batch of walleyes I caught were packed with very small sunfish (less than 1/2") so they are not far from weeds.

Good luck.

Anyone have any recent reports??

walleyes shut down this past week but should pick up this coming weekend

sunfish will always bite anywhere!

crappies... not much action

We ended up finding some walleyes to cooperate this weekend. Deeper water, 17-22 feet. Wouldn't bite on any jigs but tip-ups with shiners were the ticket in the evening. There were thick schools of baitfish all over in our area, bass, pike, walleyes, and some perch were coming through all day yesterday and today.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• LoisBrowder
      So, funny pictures!
    • ZachD
      In my eyes anywhere on the Rum is great for smallies. So far this year everytime I have been out the levels have been great even after all the rain we had just had to wait a couple days and the water was great. I put in at the Anoka fair grounds and travel up river
    • ZachD
      (Too much mercury may affect a child’s behavior and lead to learning problems later in life.) That would explain some of the backwoods people     All jokes aside I would limit it to one serving a month for being pregnant or breast feeding for Bass, Catfish, Trout, Walleye, northern like they say   "Young children (under 15 years old) and fetuses are more sensitive to mercury. Too much mercury can cause lasting problems with understanding and learning. But studies show children benefit developmentally when moms eat fish low in mercury during pregnancy. "   Just because you are not glowing doesn't mean its necessarily healthy for a fetus it takes awhile for it to build up in a healthy adult that's just my           Methylmercury exposure in Wisconsin: A case study series” (2005)
      This articles describes exposure of 14 people who at fish two times a week or more and one person who ate no fish. "Three of the individuals reported vague subclinical symptoms such as mental confusion, sleep difficulty, balance problems, or visual disturbances, which improved after their mercury levels returned to  
    • trumy
      I belive you need to pick up permit day before you enter when getting a motor day use permit that's how it works on snowbank 
    • Smythe
      I'm heading up to Blackduck for the long July 4th weekend and we are hoping on maybe getting out on Red for a day.  I've only ice fished it twice,  so I'm wondering about the best places to launch the boat.  It looks like there is only the one public launch in Waskish.  The 2 times I ice fished up there we went out of JR's Corner resort.  Would it be best to just launch from one of the resorts.  Any advice would be appreciated,  thanks in advance.      
    • waterspaniel
      6/17-24 at LaBelle's Birch Point lodge in NW Bay.   walleyes seemed scattered--trolled crankbaits and lindy-rigged leaches.  cool, wet, windy weather half the week.  no bass.
    • monstermoose78
      Juan that is great area for smallies. The water looks clear for the rum it's time. It's a long way to the next landing so you might want put in in Princeton and fish to that access You can get out at highway 47 so that is not to bad. I forgot about that I was thinking you had get almost to Cambridge.
    • gus004
      Thanks for the update.  Keep this updated.  Heading up on Saturday for the week and need to dial in the bait for the week or if we are going to be spending all day looking for active fish.  
    • Satchmo
      Been a decent year on Kab, but the variable weather has fishing in an unpredictable pattern too. Much like last year, saugers have made up a big chunk of the catch, but walleyes are coming around. LOTS of small 9"-11" 'eyes around mixed with some 15"-16" 'eyes and sauger. Some folks are still picking up some of the jumbo perch too. Little pike are everywhere and quite the nuisance.
    • fivebucks
      You kind of hit the weather bad this past weekend.  Wind, rain, and more wind not to mention cold fronts moving thru.  I was on the lake my cabin is on in the general area of Red and I had a tough time scrapping together a meal - and I've fished the lake for 15+ years.  Sometimes mother nature throws you a curve and no matter how good the lake is sometimes it doesn't matter.