Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrklean

BALLANTYNE Lake

3 posts in this topic

I dont fish the mankato area more then maybe once a year so dont know if this is a good lake to fish? Gonna head out with a buddy who doesnt ice fish so any help would be great, or other lakes that would be good to catch some fish. Thanks

I would suggest Washington or Madison.

These lakes are pretty well traveled and you should not get into trouble if you stick to the traveled paths.

If you do not get out but once a year as you say either lake would be a good place to start. Look for the crowds and fish the perimeters and you should find fish.

Locals are pretty friendly and will help you if you do not crowd them too much.

As of last Friday, their was only one local house out there. It is very slow at best. I've personaly put my share of holes out there over the last few weeks with no keepers. This includes tip-up, jigging, (I don't carry the kitchen sink) and the panfish are really small and only a few at that. Fished anywhere from 5-24ft. Ice thickness varied from 7-12". I would not suggest driving out. I totally agree with Hookey on his advise if its fish your looking for.

Lonnie