Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hardwaterguy

independence

36 posts in this topic

any one driving out yet?

any reports on ice conditions?

does anyone fish this lake anymore?

I haven't been out myself but I drove past and I saw some atv and snowmobile traffic.

any perms going out yet want to put mine out but no sled or wheeler dont know if it is driveable yet

How about go out and drill some holes and check the ice and let us know how it is?

No reports, but wish I was out on the lake. Its one of the few metro lakes I make a trip down to fish anymore during ice time. frown.gif

dang tough life shackbash...

I saw like 3 perms out there and they were all pretty small. i'll be out that way again tommorow night I'll let you know. I can't wait to drive out all this walking is making me lose my winter weight

adamolson7,

I ment I have no reports as of right now and wishing I could be out getting reports at that time. I like this lake and can not wait to hit it in the next month. The frown.gif was for me being sad, stuck at home and not fishing. grin.gif

Life is pretty rough, when one is not fishing.

Welcome to FM. cool.gif

Was out on Independence today, there were loads of sleds and wheelers racing around. Fished for about 3 hrs 13 - 20FOW, only caught 24 Perch, and 3 walleyes (very small eyes) The ice was approx 8" thick with 2" of it being frozen slush. There looked to be some broken up ice just Northwest of the park launch. Being that I had to manually pull my Fish Trap Voyager I can tell you it's a brutal walk with all the snow on the ice.

Good Luck,

Bigminnow

I have been out on Independence a couple of times this year, and have been catching mostly Perch and the ocasional eye. Is anyone having decent luck with the crappies? I have punched holes in 10 - 30 ft looking for them but haven't seen a single one. In the DNR report it shows there are suppose to be a number of them in the lake , i am just looking for someone to confirm they had some luck with the crappies.

thx

bigminnow

bigminnow, I used to fish Indy alot, in both summer and winter, I lived in Plymouth for 26 years and it was a favorite lake of mine, during the winter months find a spot that has deep water, 30-50' is not to deep, the crappie will be suspended in these areas, NIGHT BITE WAS BEST, they will come through again, again and again. Good luck, and hang in there once you find them they will be there most of the winter. Later Darrell.

Darrell, Thx for the help... Independence is a great lake (had a musky eye up the aqua view yesterday)but can be frustrating especially when all i was catching were perch.

thx again

been out there several times found small crappies in 32 to 40 feet

Was out on Indy on Monday didn't do that great. Some small perch missed a few bigger bites probably a couple small eyes as I have caught a few out there this year as well. Haven't had much luck finding the crappie this year but will keep trying. Had much better luck on this lack years before but not so much this year.

Was out monday, 20 small crappies, 6 eyes, one was 22 inches, lost one bigger. ice is about 8 inches, like others said it's a tough pull out there. two years ago I could get 10 inch crappies, seems like the little ones have taken over. anyone looking for decent crappies would do better just about anywhere.

may i ask what part of the lake your catching the bigger eyes

Is there a place to access the lake outside of the park so I don't have to pay the daily fee?

if your not bringing in a trailer you dont have to pay the fee. and yes it is on the other side of the lake

how much ice is out there now curious if you can drive f-150 yet

some areas had 9 inches and some had 12. They are driving bigger trucks out there maybe a little more ice now have not been out there since before the last cold snap

Hi Guys,

Looking for a spot to go with my dad this weekend. I was thinking I should head out and try Indy. Have the crappie picked up at all? Are the Walleye still biting? Any suggestions for a better lake in the area (West Metro)? Also, where is the park? Maybe a name for the park and I can look it up.

Thanks and good luck everyone.

is there enough ice for a f-150 and a 6x12 yet

pulled my house out tonight have 14 inches under my house 31 foot of water 1 13 inch walleye about a dozen crappies all small except 1 that was close to 10 be back tomorrow night try again

hardwaterguy - guess you got brave enough to take out the house.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow night. I have a couple groups of guys that are looking for me to take them to some fish. I was thinking of Independence as the lake of choice.

Good luck.