Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lilFEET

Sauk Centre Area

4 posts in this topic

Coming up for the weekend and was just wondering how the ice thickness and water clarity is in the lakes around Sauk Centre? Any info would be great.

I have been out a little in the area and the ice is still pretty spotty. I have found a few smaller lakes that I would feel comfortable driving a small truck on, but I have been on a few lakes that I have seen trucks on, and then found only 7" of ice when I drilled the first hole. It is really spotty most places because of all of the snow drifts that we have had since early ice. If you have access to a ATV or snowmobile I would bring it along to be safe.

As far as water clarity. The lakes I have fished have been a little cloudier than normal on the underwater camera, but still ok to see.

I almost hate to post this, but it's true. I drove my gas F-250 across town bay on Osakis last night, probably 3/4-1 mile. I got stuck 5 times. We could shovel out easy enough, although the snow is extremely hard, but without a second person to push & get me started again it would have been really rough. We hit pockets of slush as well, only a couple of inches deep I'd say, but I didn't stop. I can't say that I'd recommend it. There's no plowed road out from town. They said 14" out there. There's definitely 12" anyway. The whole lake is not like that. I was told there was only about 6" near Buck point, which I've not verified.

I had 8-10" where I fished Saturday morning West of the Narrows on the North end. The narrows itself had 12" or more, but it changed very quickly going West, like within a 100 yards or so. I know there were some trucks & bigger houses out there very close to the landing. I heard at least one of those had gotten horribly stuck & there was plenty of slush in spots. The word is, BE VERY CAREFUL, keep checking the ice depth.

Let's just say neither of the places I fished will I be planning to fish next trip out. Conditions NOT being the main reason.

I had a couple Christmas parties this weekend so I didn't get out, but a lot of my buddies did and still the same reports about the ice. VERY SPOTTY. 14"-16" for most of the lakes, but still find those 6"-8" places that have had snow cover. I heard a lot of reports like bigbucks, fishing was slow for almost everyone this weekend.