Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wippersnpr

trout opener (bwca) ice conditions

3 posts in this topic

Is there enough ice on the stream trout lakes to walk on with some confidence for this weekend. I am planning on going up near Ely with my brother to fish for some Brookies inside the BWCA. Sounds like snowshoes will be a must. Just wondering if ice conditions are worse yet on these lakes since they are small and so deep. the snow usually doesn't blow off of them and they stay well insulated. Please tell me there is enough ice for walking.

I'd have to say that if your not traveling across larger/deeper lakes then the small trout lakes should have a enough ice but plan on deep snow and very slushy conditions.

One other note. When you get this much snow on the ice, any moving water whether it be a spring, inlet, outlet, or choke points between the above, you'll have thinning ice and even open holes bridged with snow. Snowshoes would be a good idea but not so good on slushy lakes or when theres a threat of falling in the water. You might use one ski pole to test the ice as you go walk out.

If you are going across Moose & Newfound be extra careful as you get close to the narrows. It gets pretty sketchy there.

Good luck!