Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AverageFisherman

Leech -- Whipolt

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

There will be a group of us trying Leech for the first time. We'll have snowmobiles & portables and deciding where to get on the lake. Is much ice-fishing done near the Whipholt access? Is there plenty of room at this access to park trucks/trailers? Other suggestions for south side entry points would be appreciated. Walker is a possibility too. I'll report our success here when we get back in a couple weeks. Thanks!

You won't find too many other fisherman on the Whipholt end of the lake. There is plenty of parking at the Whipholt beach area. Most of the early winter fishing is out of Walker.

I think the reason there is more fishing activity in Walker bay and Pine Point/Goose Island areas is accessibility with good structure nearby. Other areas of the main lake with easy access have plenty of structure but require more travel. There is almost too much structure to cover within 2 – 3 miles of the Whipholt access.

I have not ice fished the area however, I would try the pop-ups by Rogers Point, Pipe Island and Diamond point areas. Two resorts nearby are Huddle's and Trappers Landing. If you are staying at either of the resorts, or others in the area, they should be able to help you narrow your search.

You can always join the crowd in the more popular areas, but fishing without a lot of company can be productive. I’ve done well around the South shore structures and have them pretty much to myself.

Good Luck and be sure to get an ice update from one of the resorts near where you decide to access the lake.

Its a bit of a trek from Whipolt but Stoney point is good all year long.Red rocks,Pelican reef and North bar by Pelican island can be good in the winter as well!c63Many,many,many areas to fish.so little time.hhhmmmm.good luck and happy new year!c63PS,iiiIf your using a sled,a good trick we use is when your going to stop,make your track and then double back around so you won't get stuck then.c63

Thank you for the info./advice. We're heading up on Friday and I'll report back on where we went and how we did. Any further reports/advice for Walker Bay or Whipholt area are appreciated!

Go out and fish by yourselves and you will be surprised at your catch!Be careful and don't fall in!Good luck.c63 grin.gif

over New Years the 26-30 foot depths north of Cochran's Marine did very well.

One thing I like to remind everyone is I think we forget about shallow bite in the winter.As long as you can be quiet,early am and just b4 dark and after dark can be extremly effective on leech!ssshhh (don't fish-n-tell)c63 smirk.gif

Well, here's the report. We fished out of the Whipholt access the first day and went by Pine Island in about 20 fow. Lots of perch including some nice keepers. We decided to stay there until dark, but no walleyes moved in. We hit Walker Bay the next day and tried a hump out in the middle in about 35 fow. Nothing at all during the day, but it was a beautiful out so we didn't really care. Some walleyes moved in at/after dusk, but they were small - largest was 14.5". Two of us had cameras down and were having trouble getting a bite while a guys close by was getting quite a few bites without a camera. Not sure if the cameras were spooking the walleyes or what???? Any opinions on that? We were happy to find very good ice conditions (virtually no slush) in the areas we went so no problems pulling portables with the snowmobiles. We will be back on Leech next year and hope the walleyes grow a little. Had a little trouble finding Cochran's Marine otherwise we probably would have tried it there. Good luck to all. Thanks for the advise.

question, we have stayed at andersons northland lodge back in the days of the tullibbee fest but my wife and i would like to go back there for a 4-5 day getaway. we like to spear and fish for anything that bites(perch-crappies- sunnies-eyes) but would like to stay reasonably close in that area. i have to believe the weed structure near shore would hold nords but what about the other species mentioned. any info would be helpful.

please, somebody has to know something about that end of the lake.