• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jiffy Stealth STX

jtk15

Question

I have this auger and have been having problems. It idles great, and runs fine until you go to drill a hole. Last year. I have tried new gas, tried running a tank of gas, and just letting this thing run for while, have made sure its been plenty warmed up, and it still pudders when you are drilling at auger weight with no pressure.....

I dont want to start monkeying with the carb adustments until I have some direction from someone that knows a bit more about engines then me.

I am thinking its upper throttle adjustment, but am not sure.

Some advise will be appreciated. Going to Mille Lacs on the 26th and would like to hop holes, but this could make it very unlikely.

Thanks,

jk

12 answers to this question

How old is the auger? Does it have the mixture adjust screws on it? Is it a 2hp or a 3hp? I am in Kato also if you would like me to look at it. Otherwise, if you could answer the above questions for me I can probably talk you through it.

It has drilled about 20 holes, it is a three horse, and the mix should be very accurate. I did drain the gas, and run it dry this past summer, and as I indicated-the gas that I have in it now is new at least within the last three weeks, so that should not be an issue. Its not something that appears to not be carb/plug related in terms of it being gunked up or anything as it starts as great and idles fine. My conclusion is it must be of some sort of adjustment type of an issue.

My schedule is quite hectic. Your offer is more than generous and appreciated to offer to check it out. I just don't know that I am going to be able to swing a time before we leave. Worst case, I will deal with it when I get back, and at that point may take you up on it if we cant get it figured out over the FM, as another buddy has a 30 we can take....just older, and dont drill as well when this is firing...It seems that when I choke it at half, it does get a bit more gas and runs better with the additional stress of cutting a hole.

Let me know what you think. I dont mind tinkering with it, just dont want to do something that is going to result in a trip to the shop with it-if you know what I mean...I have seemded to misplaced the owners manuel, and the online one I found has limited info.

Thanks for your help! Let me know what you think, even some direction is appreciated.

jk

As your looking at the auger from the side there is carb screws, the one closest to the engine is the low speed and the farthest away from the motor is the high speed screw. Take and screw the high speed screw out about a 1/4 of a turn and that will richen it up a tad... you may need to go alittle more if it still cuts out. These screws for the carb adjustment are Gas adjustment and NOT air so be sure to turn the screw counter clockwise (out) which will give it more fuel. If that does not help out your problems, then the diaphram in the carb is bad and will need to be replaced, when the diaphram goes bad your motor will run very inconsistent being almost impossible to tune. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks, I will give it shot and see what I get. Your prompt responses are really appreciated.

jk

Look at the carb, the two red caps (if they are still on it) with the slots in them are the adjuster screws. One is labled H and the other L. The L is the one closest to the motor usually and the H is the one closer out towards the handle. Use a needle nose pliers and take the cap off the one labled H and turn the screw counter-clockwise (out) 1/4 of a turn. If that does not seem like enough turn it another 1/4. Only turn it 1/4 of a turn at a time. The H is your high speed adjust and right now your fuel air mixture at wide open throttle is too lean (not enough gas). It should run a bit rough at wide open throttle with no load on the motor and then clean up when you start drilling and run smooth and crisp. If you end up turning the screw more than one full turn and it does not seem to help, turn the screw all the way out, grab a can of carb cleaner and stick the straw in the hole. Spray some carb cleaner through the hole and re-install the screw. Turn the screw in all the way until it stops and then back it out a turn and a half. That should get you close. You may end up taking a screw driver with you up north and finish the tune when you are on the ice. Copy and paste this address and scroll to the bottom of page 4 if does not go right there and look at image 1.

---http://www.jiffyonice.com/Jiffy%20Model%2030%20Operating%20Manual,%202005.pdf---

If you look at the image here, you will see the screws I am talking about, and the engine would be on the left side of the carb as it is pictured.

Thanks DS, will be getting up a little early and heading out to give it a test run with some ice to drill. jk

Anytime. If you have any other issues, go ahead and call Reel Fishing and Tackle in Madison Lake. They can get you my number. I will be over there tomorrow to pick up a auger for service so I might even be there.

Did as advised, and took it out to Eagle Lake to drill some holes, and it works like a champ-thanks for the help to everyone.

This is the first time I think that I have used this resource for equipment....WOW, quite the resources out there willing to help.....

Merry Christmas, you just made mine!

jk

I have almost the same issue with my 2hp Jiffy. Would the same info on adjusting the carb apply to the 2hp? I have adjusted the mixture screws but with the caps on I can only turn them a 1/2 turn. I didn't know if i would ruin something by pulling off the caps so I left them alone.

Yes the same idea should work. How old is your 2hp? Just make sure that when you adjust it start with the low speed and make sure that you idle is good. Then when you got the the high speed, the main difference is that th 2hp should be smooth and crisp at wide open throttle with no load. The best way to do the high speed is to hold it up off the ground, hold the throttle wide open, adjust the screw until it runs the highest possible rpm, and then open it another 1/8 turn (counter clockwise/out). That should do it.

I believe that my 2hp was purchased in 1999. I removed the red caps and found that I have only a low speed adjusting screw. Was that common to only have the low speed screw? Did some adjusting and it seems to run fine.