• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can a 60lb Lab fit through an 8" hole?

10,000 Casts

I have a yellow lab and she is 11 months old and is my fishing buddy. Tonight I was out in the driveway working on my fish house and I brought her out for the first time just to see how she would handle it, she is very calm and is a pretty good dog so far and exceeds my expectations.

However, when I closed the door and started hanging my rattle wheels, she started getting nervous... Next thing I know, all I see is her tail after she went through one of the holes (10")! My worry is, what would happen if she decided to take a swim shocked.gif , she has just shown me, that she isn't afraid to shoot down a hole while on the driveway and now I am worried what could happen on the ice...

My lab is 60lbs, and she is usauly very good.

Any of you guys afraid that your dog might want to take a swim through an 8" hole or heard any stories???

I think I would have hard enough time pulling a large fish out of an 8" hole (I have yet to have this issue blush.gif ), I don't think your dog could fit down an 8" hole in the ice.

One note. If your in a portable, DO NOT tie your dog to a 15' leash and secure it to the tub and leave it outside on it's own. My dog (puppy at the time) ran all the way around the tub and then started after someone walking by. The rope tightened pulling right across the holes, lines, rods, and everything (not to mention relocating the house!! LOL shocked.gif

I had to fight my ~100 pound lab with my arm when catching a fish so he wouldn't put his head down in the hole to go after a fish. He would not have fit into a 16 inch hole he was about a year old and solid. he needed a few less pounds but he was destined to be in the 90 pound range...

Had to give him up do to allergies but man he loved those panfishing days!

Quote:

One note. If your in a portable, DO NOT tie your dog to a 15' leash and secure it to the tub and leave it outside on it's own. My dog (puppy at the time) ran all the way around the tub and then started after someone walking by. The rope tightened pulling right across the holes, lines, rods, and everything (not to mention relocating the house!! LOL
shocked.gif

Now that's funny!!! grin.gif

I completely agree with you guys and didn't think that it would be possible, but she really surprised me when she shot down that 10" hole in the bottom of the house like it was nothing.

Thanks for the comments,