Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gadgetman

gps for car - help

15 posts in this topic

Anyone have any input on these? I am going to have to start working on the metro early next year and dont know my way around at all. Have considered getting a garmin Nuvi 200W. Price seems good, screen size is ok and seem easy to use. any other models that I should consider or steer clear of.

I have had the chance to use the Lowrance, TomTom and Garmin units. I think by fare the Garmin is the most user friendly and has the best maps. Garmins just seem to do what I wanted and didn’t do all the fancy stuff, it also seem to have the best maps. Make sure you get a unit that has a good size screen. With the said I would rate the Lowrance next best, the Tom Tom just didn’t seem to have the maps like the other two.

I've used several and also like the Garmin the best. Very easy to use and PACKED with info. From what the sales guy said they have nearly 5 times more info in them than the other brands. With a simple push on the screen, you can get info about the nearest gas, hotels, theatres and other services including their phone numbers. I actually just purchased one for an elderly (80) aunt and uncle and they were able to figure it out and use it in less than 30 minutes. The more spendy models have even more features you may be interested in.

I have a magellan roadmate 760 and it works great.You can get one on ebay for under $200.

I got a megellan 3100 this year and it's awesome. Use it all the time. Saw them in the target ad this week for $150. Nothing fancy, but they get you around and show you all the gas and food in the area.

Garmin nuvi 350 is great. My wife is a "landmark only" navigating type and is not familiar with Minnesota. This thing guides her everywhere. Downtown Minneapolis to rural it works great. I went with the 350 for the text to talk for her I knew that was better than saying, "Turn in 500ft" I like it as well. The maps are also upgradable on the 350. Bought a factory refurbished for cheaper.

This may or may not apply to you, but I'll just throw it out there.

The last time I upgraded my phone through Verizon, I purchased a phone that had Verizon Navigator.

I am truly impressed with this. Just throw up a mount on the dash and your good to go.

What I really like about it, is that my wife has it on her phone too, and say she wants me to know where she is, or vice versa, you just send the coordinates and it will guide you there.

After using it for about 6 months, I would really be lost without it.

We have a TOM TOM one, and couldn't be happier with it. Easy to use, although I have heard that the Garmin NUVI's are a little easier to use. We took the TOM TOM on our trip to Florida recently and am sure glad we had it. It is great, and very simple to use. smile.gif

Gadgetman, You will have to go and check them out for yourself. You can tell that everyone like different model and kinds so its best for you to go and play with them and see what one you like best!!!!

I'm leaning towards a Nuvi 200W right now. Seems to do everything but not too many extras. I guess I will have to make a decision pretty soon.

The wide screen is great. We have a NUVI 350W and have found it to be very user friendly. There are a lot of good units on the market but how can you go wrong with one of the leaders in the industry. My vote is for the Garmin.

settled on the Garmin Nuvi 200W and really like it. bought one for my tech challenged parents and they were able to figure it out in abouit 10 minutes as they are very simple to use. would definitly give this unit a "10"

My brother got my dad a Garmin Nuvi 250 I think it is for a combo birthday/X-Mas gift, now I want one, that thing is awesome.

The Nuvi 260 will tell U what street to turn on instead of saying take left in 700 feet. The last distraction I need when driving is to figure what street is in 700 feet. Also the Tom Tom has a bigger screen, easy to use, and has a $100 mail in rebait for a couple of days yet. U would want the XLS and it is sold out in most places. A distributor called Wynit had a couple left if you go to buy one, the place you go to can get you one threw there? Make sure you pay for it and keep you reciept so you can get the rebait. $399.99 - $100. Not bad. Good Luck.

Quote:

This may or may not apply to you, but I'll just throw it out there.

The last time I upgraded my phone through Verizon, I purchased a phone that had Verizon Navigator.

I am truly impressed with this. Just throw up a mount on the dash and your good to go.

What I really like about it, is that my wife has it on her phone too, and say she wants me to know where she is, or vice versa, you just send the coordinates and it will guide you there.

After using it for about 6 months, I would really be lost without it.

I was thinking along the same lines here. I have Sprint and they offer the same service. Another low cost option if you have web access on your phone go to google maps, Its impressive and will find stores, home address or ??? also gives real time traffic conditions.