Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dubleaa

WFC Ice Conditions

13 posts in this topic

Any report on the ice conditions on the WFC, specifically Lower Hay? I am heading up in a couple of weeks and curious as to whats going on up there. I would like to bring the wheel house for the kids but the snow on top of ice and potential for poor ice/slushy conditions worry me. Any reports would be much appreciated

I was wondering about the ice/fishing myself out on WF... Gotta wrap up one more final exam tomorrow morning and then its xmas break! I would like to get up north and fish the chain, so any reports on safe ice there sure would make the trip a lot more worth while!

I am going to try to get up there and get out on the chain this weekend but the reports of Cross Lake that I got was a guy went across on a snowmobile and the next day his tracks looked like a river across the lake? I do know that it will be very slushy but I will try to get ice depths this weekend!!!

Thanks Ozzie, keep us posted upon your return

I was on Upper Hay (just down the road)this last weekend and heading up again this weekend. The ice had areas of 2 to 4 inches of slush with 4 to 7 inches below then the slush would be gone and the ice would be 6 to 9 inches. We also found areas with an open water hole and almost no ice. For the most part the ice was ok, but nothing to brag about and travelling across with the slush makes it a little uncomfortable, so we didn't travel far. I'll give a report after this weekend.

Thanks buddha, the stretch of warm weather we're in and threat of snow this weekend are really putting a damper on my plans to get the wheel house out for the family to enjoy frown.gif. Looking forward to your post after this weekend and good luck.

I'm itchin' man, any update on WFC ice conditions?

Merry Christmas

Did you guys get any of that snow that pounded the cities? I only ask, because my family is heading up on the 27th and I was wondering if it affected the ice and or the driving conditions up their. Did some of this cold freeze the slush?

We may have gotten about 1/2 inch at the most...

Ice conditions are really improving fast. Most lakes in the area now have 10 - 12 inches of good ice.. Care is still needed in some areas... Cold weather this week should really help..

Roads are in good condition...

I hope this helps

There is still plenty of bad ice on the WFC. Tried fishing out there last weekend and still ran into plenty of slush. Ice varied anywhere from 3 to 8 inches where I fished. Walleyes did not cooperate either. Good fishing!

I have been out the last 2 weekends and the ice is nothing to brag about. I also can't find a walleye to save my life, but that is another problem. I will be fishing again this weekend and hopefully the conditions improve. It is still very slushy and makes travel tough. I did some car traffic on Gull last weekend, I think they are crazy as being on a wheeler makes me nervous yet with the conditions they way they are. Good luck to all.

I've been trying to fish Upper Hay for the past two days and the ice is poor at best. If you fish areas without snow the ice is 12" but where there's snow the slush is 4" - 6" with only 3" - 4" of ice under the slush. Fishing is very slow!

I am seeing the same thing. I guess I will keep trying but a frustrating time since many parts of the state have good ice already.