Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sutty

ATV rules on Metro Lakes

8 posts in this topic

I am planning on doing a little more fishing this winter on metro lakes. I am wondering how I can figure out which lakes I can't drive my ATV on. I have explored the DNR site and did not find anything. Is there a publication that has this info? Also if anyone ever wants to go I have a fish trap voyager so I have room for someone.

Thanks,

Sutty

i didnt know there any regs for wheelers on lakes other than speed limits. i know Madison, Wi requires a permit to verify there is floatation installed on your machine, but dont know if that is required around here or not.

You should be able to drive an ATV on most lakes around here except the MPLS lakes.

I had read on one of the ice reports here that there was an ATV restriction on one of the metro lakes, can't find it right now but that was why I had posted this.

Any lake that has a prohibition on gas motors is also off-limits to ATVs and snowmobiles, unless they run purely on electric I guess. The chain of lakes (Cedar, Isles, Calhoun, Harriet, and Nokomis) is a great example of lakes that you can not use gas motors on, except for a gas powered auger. There is no definitive website out there to tell you which ones. I had a long conversation with a civil-service guy (FM name = Stenzel) this past spring about the lack of documentation. It boils down to you needing to do a lot of research to figure out which ones you can't have a motor on. It can be banned by the city, county, or local park boards (like Three Rivers).

...and when John Q Law writes you a ticket, he will remind you that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Too bad they can't help you find the info when you want it though!

Here is the original thread that I found. Stenzel responded at the end:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=1000239&Forum=

,f5&Words=motor&Searchpage=7&Limit=25&Main=977049&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0

&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1000239

In case that link doesn't work, here is a paste of Stenzel's post:

Stenzel

IceLeader Newbie

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Andover, MN 55304

Re: No driving on city lakes! [Re: SkunkedAgain]

#1000239 - 02/23/07 10:37 AM

Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

Got a call from SkunkedAgain to try to answer some of the questions that popped up on this thread. The rules are posted on our wed site but they are somewhat spread out in the various ordinances and policies. It seems different ordinances and policies cover different things in an average fishermen’s life. I’ll try to give you a quick run down of what you need to know. Keep in mind that we are in an urban setting, with just over 2 million visitors just to the chain of lakes alone annually. As a fisherman myself I try my best to look out for the interest of all fishermen when changes to the ordinance and policies pop up but I have to admit some days it’s harder than others. I, for one, am not a big fan of more rules and regulations but giving the setting, if we didn't have them, no one would enjoy what is there.

For ice fishing you can not drive on the city lakes with anything (vehicle, snowmobile, ATV…). You are allowed to use a gas powered auger. You may have a fish house but it has to be attended. No permanent houses. No holes greater than 10 inches in diameter. No fires on the ice. For open water, the lakes are electric trolling motor only but you can leave your motor on the boat and it can be in the water. I eliminated the need for boat and electric trolling motor permits about four years ago. There is no permit needed to launch your boat or to fish in these lakes. The big issue I hear is parking. Basically if it is a parking lot it’s a pay lot and the rate is posted on the sign. All the parkways and city streets without meters are free.

I'll see what can be done to maybe post some general rules and regulation in regards to fishing the city lakes on our web site to make it easier for everyone.

Quote:

i didnt know there any regs for wheelers on lakes other than speed limits. i know Madison, Wi requires a permit to verify there is floatation installed on your machine, but dont know if that is required around here or not.

Agree!

Just make sure to do the research. I know in Eagan there are a lot of smaller lakes that you aren't allowed to use gas motors on in the summer - or the winter. Had to remind a few folks last winter since the rules are confusing & it seems the DNR folks like to patrol the little ponds in my neck of the Cities!