• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Emily/Mary Ice

Any reports on the ice/slush situation? I will be up soon and am curious if I should leave my machines at home.

I fished fox, in 50 lakes on Sunday real sloppy any snowy areas had 4 inches of water with about 3-4 inches of ice under that, other areas that had ice on top had 2 inches of water between the 2 layers of ice. nothing

biting. Mary has allot more springs and I assume that is just as sloppy I wouldn't recommend a machine out there.

all the guy's I talked to said the bite is off.

Thanks for the report. I'll be up at any rate, but nice to know I won't have to haul a machine up!

Irish,

Not that I am disputing your claims, but are you saying that ice conditions in the Emily area are still inconsistent? My family has a cabin on Emily, we are planning on heading up there for a few days after xmas. Was planning on bringing a 6x12 wheel house up. I called the bait store in Crosby the other day and the guy I talked to made it sound like the ice was good now on Lakes like Perry and Serpent. Perm house out, 4-wheelers all over, etc. I would think if ice was safe on those lakes, other lakes would be similar. Again I am not saying what you said was untruthful, I am just curious what the real story is, since I was planning on bringing the wheeler and big house up. Don't want to drag them up if I can't use em. Thanks. Anyone else with ice reports?

Some of the lakes around here didn't freeze over until, 2 days before the big snow we had. Emily was froze over before turkey day. I'm just saying the lake I was fishing, the ice was real bad and I wouldn't take my wheeler out on it.

I am sure Emily is probably good since it had time to get enough ice before it snowed.

I haven't fished Mary this year so I cannot tell you what it is like. I would call the bait store in Emily they can give you better info on Mary. Read the McGregor forum, the ice isn't great over there either. I'm just saying check the ice especially since this warm weather isn't making much ice and the blanket on top doesn't help.

Both are fine. As is Ruth and Trout. They were all frozen over well before the snows. I was on Ruth yesterday and had no slush or standing water and my father tell me Mary is the same. Perms are all over the place and many wheelers and snowmobiles as well. There may be a few spots that aren't so great, springs and all, but generally speaking you should have no problem.

I know it was a while ago, but a guy I know went through on the 8th on Mary. He was fishing in his portable in about 12 FOW and when he stood up, down he went. Luckily his elbow caught on the ice and he was able to pull himself out. It was a while ago...just putting the info out there. Be safe!

Thanks for the heads up, coach! Does your friend live on the lake, or does he drive there? Just curious as to what part of the lake he went through at. I know that the swans were keeping a big portion open on the north and west parts at first ice around Thanksgiving.

We have a buddy that has a cabin on the lake. he was fishing....the very east end.. I think it is the east end... there is a small resort just a few doors down from him.. good luck and be safe

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, see you fish Fox Lake. East or West?

I will be up there next week and wondering on ice conditions, fish reports from area (Fox, Kego,etc)

Anything you got would help thanks!

i fish both, i grew up on east.

the fishing was real slow this weekend. i small pike and a sunfish. it has been getting worse every year.

there has been quite a bit of pressure the last 5 years i fished saturday morning for walleyes 2 bites and one was a 9 inch sunfish on a large spoon the other was a small pike on a jiging rap. saturday night i fished crappies...not a bite.

i watched then on the vex but they were all sniffers.

first time i have ever been skunked in my spot.