Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnhunter2

Strikelite starting question?

12 posts in this topic

Got to use my new strikelite this weekend and found it work great once I got it to fire and run. Starting it for the first time of the day it was extremely cold blooded, had to leave the choke on full and it probally took 15-20 pulls to get it to fire and then I had to let it run intill it was warm and it worked fine. Started great once it was warm and only had the auger bind up in a hole one time and that was when I was opening an old hole, probally will not be opening many old holes just drill new ones. I had ran it for a short while when I got it unpacked and it seemed to start a little better the more I used it, but it doesn't want to fire up very quick when its cold. Was wondering if thats kinda what 4-stokes will be like or is there something I should be doing different to get it started when its cold?

I've been fighting with mine this year again. It's not as bad as last year, but it isn't that cold yet either. Last year when it was cold it would take me 40+ pulls to get it started. I took it to StrikeMaster and they said there was a screw loose behind the air cleaner that was letting extra air into the combustion chamber. Check those to make sure they're snug. So far this year I've tried varying my starting technique. I'll pull the cord once with the switch off. Then I'll prime it 6 - 10 times. Then I'll press the throttle to full two times. After that I'll give it a few pulls. If it seems like it's trying I'll pull lefty and feather the throttle righty. That usually works for me. Mine is a cold bugger though, and if I don't give it a couple of minutes to warm up, it'll die after the first hole. I still like it better than stinking up the house. Maybe I'll buy it a card and a rose before I take it out next time. See if that works better.

What kind of oil are you using? These 4-stroke machines in the cold environment will really benefit from synthetic with very low pour points - very good flow characteristics when cold. The product I would recommend is AMSOIL's 4-stroke power sports oil, 0W-40 product code AFF, the same oil for your 4-stroke ATVs. With a pour point of -60deg F it will make starting much easier compared to traditional fossil oils.

I've just been using the oil recommended by StrikeMaster.

I've only used mine three times, but so far, I haven't had to pull more than twice before it fires up. It does need to warm up a bit before starting to punch holes. Often times I'll kill it a couple times when pressing the throttle before it's warmed up. After it's warm, it's golden. No problem restarting either. Two pulls max.

I use the strikemaster brand oil.

The cold start issue has nothing to do with the oil. However, using a synthetic as the oilman stated will help it pull over easier. Because of the emmissions standards governing outdoor power equiptment, the carbs are set very lean to reduce emmissions. The correction would be to open up the low speed jet a bit so it gets a tad more fuel when it is cold. It then will start better, but will still need to be warmed up before drilling.

Thanks for pointing this out, this makes a couple of contributing problems. The EPA is causing this same problem with the 2-stroke augers also (there have been a couple of other threads about these too recently). The engines are EPA calibrated for idle at 75deg F, and 50deg colder or more makes a very lean fuel to air ratio problem. It is even possible in some cases to be so lean as to cause pistons to get burned. Since augers ALWAYS operate in colder environments they really need to be reset for idle mixture at much colder ambient, but it may be a legal problem with EPA.

Quote:

but it may be a legal problem with EPA.

My guess is that is exactly why Strikemaster is VERY limited to what they can do with them.

So what are we suppose to do to get a richer mix, I tried to find a mixture screw on the strikelite didn't see one and couldn't find anything in the owners manual so will we have to take the carb apart to change it?

The best way is to find a shop that will take the time to drill the jet out a smidge bigger. No one hardly does it anymore but it can be done. I will be doing one Wednesday or Thursday so I will let you know how it goes. No, there are no mixture adjustment screws.

There is a post in Icefishing about breaking in a new auger, talks about running a full tank of gas thur it at 3/4 trottle and a tank at full throttle to break in the engine, wonder if that would help with the cold starting problem. Let me now how the opening of the low speed jet works for you, mabye I can get my auger over to you.

The issue is with the jetting in the carb. It needs to be taken apart and corrected. Shoot me an e-mail if you would. I can explain more there.