Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hibbing

Quick Question

7 posts in this topic

I'm putting a new battery in my snowmobile. According to the instructions for the battery, I should use a 500ma charger. Will the charger for my Vexilar work. The only other charger I have is a 10 amp deep cycle charger. Any advice??

Never seen vex charger 12v or 6v whats your batt 12v?If the vex is a small box type plug read the back it'll tell ya.If ya want to be safe get a cheap rechargable spot light.It is most likly 500ma weather 12v or 6v it puts out 500ma.2 wire the one with white tracer is + use alligator clips.On my riding mower 12V I use 2amp charger works great.I'm not upon sizes or volts for snowmachines

with 500ma probably take 10-12 hrs.

I just checked one of the chargers I use for those locator style batteries and it's 500 mA. As said above, take a look at the label on the charger and it should say the current output.

Hibbing yes your vexilar charger will work for your snowmobile battery.

2 things using a 500 ma charger will take forever and i dont know why they would recommend that, but if thats what it says then maybe do it for the first charge, secondly for a deep cycle battery a 10 amp charger is a little to much deep cycles like a slower charge and will last longer if you use a 2 amp thats what i have always done you can get a cheap charger for 15 20 bucks. i would personally use a 2 amp on your snowmobile battery as well thats just me but its hard to over charde it you can get a maintaining or float charger that you can leave on it and it shuts of when chargerd and turns on if the voltage drops just some options.

500 mA will work but will take a long time. A 2 amp trickle charger is most common for those smaller utility type batteries. Normally you try and stay with a charger thats charging rate is 10% of the batteries amp hr capacity.

A 10 amp deep cycle charger is good for a 115 amp hr deep cycle battery but too big for your 25 amp hr snowmobile battery.

Usually on these smaller batteries we use 1 to 2 amp automatic chargers. After we get them flooded we leave them sit for a couple of hours to saturate properly. Then we hook them up and let them charge overnight. The smaller the battery, the smaller the charger. Too much juice will ruin the battery very quickly.