Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big_Dog

Ice below Sartell Dam

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how thick the ice is below the Sartell Dam? I have been curious about people being out on the ice with flowing water near by. Not sure it will hold my 280+ lb frame?

pretty thin from what I've seen. My guess is they will open up the dam soon, washing out the ice. That is usually what happens after a couple weeks so if you hear the horn, be ready to get off the ice.

Lot of eelpout from my experiences fishing down there in the winter. Snagfest in the spring but you never know what you're gonna catch...that's why I like fishing the river

Haven't been down there this year but I talked to my buddy who ventured out there this past weekend. He claimed there was 3 inches of ice then but it varied in spots.

Lots of current from turbines on east side of dam and from watab creek running through. I would recommend being careful with the warmer temps coming up cause if you fall through down there consider yourself history. I think they said they ended up with an a few eelpount and a northern in a couple hours fishing.

SA- I remember when they opened the dam with no warning besides a weak horn and people had to run for the rocks as the water was coming across the ice. Definitely not worth a few pout imo! frown.gif