• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bays of the St. Louis

I'm heading out to the bays of the St. Louis river this weekend just wondering if there has been any success and what the ice conditions are? Any info would be great.

5" of ice in most spots but be very careful. There are some springs and weed patches that stay thin. Stay away from the channel until the shipping season ends.

Some fish being caught but its been pretty spotty.

Give other houses some space as well. A small city on 5" of ice isnt a good thing. There are no great spots out there its just a big flat so spread out. You will have more success that way as well. Those litle cities can get loud. Its amazing how 2 houses can turn into 20 in a hours time.

Get set up by 2pm and then wait for the dusk bite. Stay a hour after dark for pout.

This is my second year living in Duluth and I was wondering if I could get a few tips on how to fish the St. Lious river. I fished the channels a couple of times last year with out any luck.

Most times the channels in the winter are not much good. Fish the edges, inside and outside turns. Jig n minnow or glow spoons work well. Look for current seems but be careful if you dont know where you are going you may never find your way back! frown.gif

The bay is simple. Find 7-9' of water and fish it. Its a big flat so you basically wait for them to come to you.

Later on after shipping is done you can venture out further on the channel edges and deeper, until then stay away from the channel.

I think you mean the bays of the St. Louis River???I was out on McClures the last two days and found a uniform 8 inches of ice but the water was very murky (Back to normal depth though). We did not have much luck 3 nice crappies for about 5 hours of fishing each day. I see people are going out from the fisheman's parking lot off of Badger drive with wheelers and sleds. I have not stopped down to see if they are cathing or not.

Have spoken with some friends about the walleye action up river and have been told they are biting...nothing big but they are eaters. No 'pout in sight however.

Hope this helps...

Cheeks

Quote:

I think you mean the bays of the St. Louis River???I was out on McClures the last two days and found a uniform 8 inches of ice but the water was very murky (Back to normal depth though). We did not have much luck 3 nice crappies for about 5 hours of fishing each day. I see people are going out from the fisheman's parking lot off of Badger drive with wheelers and sleds. I have not stopped down to see if they are cathing or not.

Have spoken with some friends about the walleye action up river and have been told they are biting...nothing big but they are eaters. No 'pout in sight however.

Hope this helps...

Cheeks

That's good news that the river is up. Hopefully, we get some decent snow and then the opener should be decent. i am in a semi hibernation stage now being that i dont ice fish but i am counting the days till spring