Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lake6647

Ice conditions on the chain

4 posts in this topic

Are all the lakes on the chain iced over? If so any word on how much ice?

I live out on Carlos and my dad said he saw one brave soul out on the ice. He said where the first ice froze its a good 7 and a quarter inches and then where the second wave froze over my day said it was 3 maybe 4 inches said the slush is crazy and that the ice isn't making ice because of all the water on it be careful but have fun. I haven't heard of anyone fishing out there yet.

Have seen a few houses out on Darling now. otherwise just a few portables on Geneva. Some have been walking on Victoria off Hwy 27. Guessing ice is like hhguide says...eight or so out to the second freez...maybe 4-5 out on the late freeze spots. I still see new wet snow/slush spots showing up, so there's cracks and fissures to look out for.

Use caution.

My experince on Darling there was about 8 inches in the spots that froze over during the first cold snap and about four where it froze a week later. The snow and slush has made it for some hard treking with the four wheeler equipment with chains. I ventured on Lehomme Dieu on Sunday and found about 6 inches of ice and alot of slush. My recomendation is to check the ice on foot before venturing out with a sled or wheeler! Good Luck!