Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gr8whthunter76

Lake Tetonka

23 posts in this topic

Just wondering what the big bite was out on Lake Tetonka just out from the swimming beach. Monitored the activity out there most of the weekend, but never got to ask anyone what was biting out there. I hammered the monster sunnies and crappies on best point all last summer, just wondering if they are biting still now during the winter months. Hitting the ice for the first time, in a while, next weekend and wouldn't mind hitting some slabs! Out from the swimming beach in the summer I catch about 100 cigar sized walleyes and would rather not deal with them during the ice months if that is what people are fishing out there. Have done well in the past perch fishing out from the beach, but has been a while! Any info would be great!

gr8whthunter, the swim beach bite was slow sunday although a few fish made it to the hole, not much for size.

then again it was hard to stay on the move looking for them with single digits and all. I caught 2 crappies 11-12" 2 gills about 8" the rest where in the 4-6" range,and the bite was not exactley on for that matter most fish where on the bottom and not active and had to be co-hersed into biting (switching jigs,techniques ect.)

I was out there sat and sun it was slow ended up with a few white bass both days 2 12in crappies and 2 eyes over 20 hit another lake tonight and ended up with 4 eyes 14-18 inchs cool.gif

my buddy lives down in waseca and we were gunna hit up tetonka this weekend for the first time!!! I was wondering of any suggestions of where to go to hook into some walleyes and/or northerns?! any info will help, thank you!

how far/deep are you fishing off of best point?

It was summer fishing on best point. If you look at best point from the middle of the lake you see a large house with big windows in it. Line that house up with the point across to the North and look west. Walk til you line up with the silo on the west end of the lake and you should be about 12-15 foot of water and that is where we were catching the slabs in the summer though! The sunnies were INCREDIBLE last summer! We also did very well in the bay by the hatchery (in the summer) but there wasn't much theory to that, they were just in 8-10 foot of water of a drainage culvert from the hatchery.

Does anyone know if the resort is letting trucks down to access the lake at the point this year?

Letting and people doing without permission is the question. i would hate to get a tresspass ticket for a couple panfish. A wheeler down the shore is a safe bet.

Are there any sleds or wheelers out there yet? How thick is it now?

I noticed a wheeler parked along side a fish house in the middle east part of the lake straight out from the old saw mill.

Talked to a guy today who said anywhere from 2 - 11 inches where he was by the beach. No fish. That 2" doesn't sound good.

The chisle goes thought in one throw. I got a wet leg this morning, I couldn't move fast enough. I just turned my back to the guy that drove by on the 4 wheeler, but he kept putting along. confused.gif He went past crams point, never onces checked the ice. confused.gifshocked.gif

Sunday a Buddy and I walked out to the hump 3/4 of the way from the fishing pier by the hatchery (a long walk might I add) found that the ice was a little patchy there.

a few spots that 2 chops with a chisel and you where threw other spots where 7-8" confused.gif

Too bad I didn't get that on camera. grin.gif J/K! Glad you're fine and home safe and sound.

Be careful out there folks. If you're at all suspect of the conditions but decide to proceed on without checking, just remember what happened last year to a young man on a snowmobile.

bump

How has the ice been as of late? I have never fished it in the winter. I assume I'll want to stay away from where the river comes in and goes out. Are there stil any areas I'll want to stay away from? I won't be driving. Just driving a sled and checking as I go with a bar or auger.

Last weekend when I was out there, straight from the swimming beach, drove the wheeler and had no issues. Parked and set up on 8 inches of good ice and about two inches or so of bad ice. I have read other places around the forum here, hatchery area, bad ice and willow point going down to best point, ice is never really good there! Seeing more and more houses down by best point now so thinking that is where I am going to setup this Saturday.

I'll be there Saturday too. In the green Otter with the old Yamaha sled

you planning to cut through the resort or is that closed off now????

I've never been there before so I was planning on using the access. I know that is right by the hatchery so the ice might be a little iffy there. I was just going to ask at the bait shop. Also, on the map where are best and willow points?

From the hatchery access, head north and that first point is willow. I think the locals call it something else, but by the GPS that is called willow. That bay from access to willow is where I have heard about some iffy ice and then around that point is always an area to avoid, I usually swing WAY north around the point to avoid it or if I see other tracks, stick close to shore around the point. I go where others have been most of the time in that area. Head west from willow, where the resort is, that is best point resort. At times you can cut through there, but the resort does block it off after a while usually.

Cool thanks for the help. I have a GPS but I wasn't sure if the points were labeled or not. Good Luck

If the ice is if'y, stay very close to shore around that point. The point is narrow and runs way out into the lake but just a little way out each side drops off sharply to deep water. In no time at all it's 20-30 feet.

Yes, please be cautious, my friends would be depressed if they have to respond to another "recovery" at Tetonka.

Good point T.O., you gotta ask yourself,"is the prize worth the risk of life or limb?" The biggest fish or the best limit, is hardly worth the risk of what could be lost.

L2f