Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LefsaLad

Am I Legal?

5 posts in this topic

Sorry to give you the wrong impression Deadhead, but I only get up to the lake a few times in the winter and don't own a portable. I'm older, have diabetes and can't tolerate the cold in my hand hands and feet. But I enjoy fishing and consider myself an ethical fisherman and steward of our lakes and fish. I am only able to catch an occasional northern in the area my tip-ups are located and always try to release them unharmed. I have a radio transmitter attached to each tip-up and am always in eyesight of the windows facing the lake. I think I can get to a flag as fast as anyone in a permanent house who usually don't have the sight lines that I have. I'm just trying to enjoy fishing as long as I can but want to be legal.

Maybe I can be of Help. By searching on the DNR's Website and looking at page 60 of the MN fishing regulations for 2007-2008. Anglers must be within 200 feet of your yout tip up. Here is a copy and paste of the Regs for you to read. can be found here

MN DNR Fishign Regulations 2007-2008

2007 Minnesota Fishing Regulations

ICE ANGLING AND

SPEARING

General Regulations

Two lines may be used through the ice (other than on designated trout lakes and streams).

Anglers must remain within 200 feet of their tip-up.

Using an artificial light to lure or attract fish, or to see fish when spearing, is unlawful. Exception: While angling, a person may affix to the end of a fishing line a lighted artificial bait with hooks attached. Any battery that is used in lighted fishing lures cannot contain any intentionally introduced mercury.

Hope this helps answer your question.

LefsaLad, I apologize if you got the impression that I was implying that you weren't an ethical angler. That wasn't my intention. I should know better than anybody that angling is a sport that should be enjoyed by all people, regardless of any physical or mental impediment. I should be better about promoting this sport than chastising other anglers who don't share the same views as me. After thinking about your earlier post, I suppose a tip-up is akin to settting a furbearer trap, and that is still considered sport. Sorry.

I'd still check with a CO about the legality of the situation. I think with the newer remote electronic alerts on the tipups, that it may be considered legal.

Next time you are in the area fishing, give us a post here, I'm sure one of us here are more than willing to give you hand and share some fishing stories.

Lefse --

My guess is that the transmitter is in a grey area and that it will be up to each CO on how he reads that. Might be a call from the gut.

But, in my opinion, technically it would be against the law.

If you have followed this site at all I run into the law quite a bit and that is my best guess.

Hope that helps, I am sure Dead will get back to you

Hitman

I talked to the CO in Hennepin county and he told me that it would not be a problem. A friend talked a CO from the fergas falls office and the CO said it is a gray area but as long as I was attending my lines and not out of sight, that I was ok. What do you think?

I'm not fishing for meat but still love the thrill of seeing a flag go up or a bobber go down.

You boys run wesbite that is fun, respectfull of our natural resources and welcoming to all particpants. Keep up the good work.