Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mooneyes

Big Pike

11 posts in this topic

I recently moved to Madison lake, I know where to find the eyes but i would love to put some time in and catch a 20 pound pike through the ice, long shot or not any ideas on where to start madison maybe?

Decent chance at a 20# pike in MN?

Better get in the car and head north!

Red or LOW!

There are big pike in some of the area lakes but 20# may be a little lofty for a goal. The lakes I would focus on are Madison, German and Tetonka.

Madison.

Otter is giving good advice. If I wanted to catch big pike, I would fish the lakes in this order, Tetonka first, German second and Madison last. cool.gif

The last couple of years have seen some beautiful 18's out of Madison. Couple from around the island and one that I know of out of East Bay. Only one did not go back that I can think of. Tetonka has some very large pike in it. Including a Muskie or two. No they do not stock that lake with Muskie or is it considered a Muskie lake. There have been some caught in the summer. Theory is they got in there when the hatchery flooded years back. Balantyne can give up some nice pike from time to time also.

Millacs is commin on for big pike and it really aint that far, even though id wait tell summer. Tetonka and them are decent but id lower your goals to 10lbs. Minnetonka is decent for low teens but theres a lot of skanks. Id just spend the money and run to LOTW, Devils lake or one of them SD floods, and just fill your goal. Still its a long shot these days.

I would think Tetonka is your best bet especially after seeing the large muskie taken out of there last summer! I have seen some MONSTERS come out of Leech Lake or a lake called Big Mantrap just outside of Park Rapids, actually it is closer to Emmaville if you get up that way. No need to go to WAY North I don't think to Lake of the Woods, especially for a slime laugh.gif

If your looking at MN as a whole i think Upper Red Lake without a doubt.

Reeds has a few big pike in it

My boat has seen 2 pike over 40" the last two years in some of these lakes around the Mankato area. Both had to be at or over the 20# mark. Exceptional fish and both of them still swimming as well. Good luck with this.