Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AceintheHole

Lake O'dowd ICE!!!!

95 posts in this topic

Anybody know of the ice conditions out there?

As of 2 hours ago- 1 permenant house and 3 portables all straight out from the launch. Perm house is about 60-70 yds off shore. Didn't stop to check ice thickness though so I can't help you out there.

Thanks for the reply Good Fishin / Be Safe

Quote:

As of 2 hours ago- 1 permenant house and 3 portables all straight out from the launch. Perm house is about 60-70 yds off shore. Didn't stop to check ice thickness though so I can't help you out there.

Wow! I can't belive there is that much ice out there already. Gonna have to run out there tomorrow and see how much ice is really there.

Thata the same guy who put his house out there early every year. I've seen it on the bottom more then once. Some people just have to push the limits.

Just talked to a guy who has been out ther 3 times this week. He says there is 5-8" dependign on where you go.

Anybody been snappen any walleyes out of there? Hows the ice?

My buddy was out there today and he said all they caught were tiny sunnies. He also saidf the ice was pretty good. Around 6" to 8" where they were fishing.

There's about 6-8 inches of ice, but half of it is honeycombed..Frozen slush and what not..Not much action as far as fishing. I caught one sunny. Lot's of people Tip Up fishing. I didn't see any flags all day.

There was a dozen ports and 6 perm houses out today ice was 7-10" in front of the acsess less as you drifted out farther.

Drove by there around 1pm today and also witnessed all the houses and portables out there.

It sounds like from here and some of the other threads that O'dowd is ready to fish for the most part. Is there any part of the lake that anyone knows of that is still a place of concern for someone on foot w/ a portable.

Good luck and be safe.

where is this lake o'dowd ?? i might have to check it out

Go to dnr lakefinder.com this will tel you all you need to know. Scott county

Whats the good word from the old mud hole.

Is the ice all safe or is there still places to watch out for with a portable and walking. Fish the lake alot in the summer but the only place I would know to watch now is there is some current between the island and the fishing pier on the west side.

Thank you and be safe out there.

Ice is fine put my house out there sat. There was 7-12" even a couple of cars driving around (not smart).

Was out there last night with Pierbridge. Caught our share of smallish crappies (30 or so) from 4:30 till about 7.

Ice is good out from the access into the main accumulation of fish shacks. There is about 7 good inches and about 3 inches of frozen slush. Couple of cars out and a very brave truck or two.

Once you head north and east from the main cluster of houses the ice thins out.

Some areas only had 4 to 5 good inches with about 1 to 2 of frozen slush.

Use some common sense and you should be safe.

hey, assinthehole, I'd like to get out there and fish. We caught a few last winter between the island and the east shore? big drop-off. We saw a shack set up on a reef? right along the shore line, not far from the public access. Anyone ever try there? I'm going to try to hit it this weekend. Good luck to all of you. If I see a party happen' I'll try to stop by. Unless fish in my hole ooo.gif Krawdad

Quote:

hey,
assinthehole
, I'd like to get out there and fish. : Krawdad

haha did you see what you called ace??? LOL

Pay backs are a bit%h. JK

Was out today for a few hours..Moved around alot with little success.. Ice was between 8-12 inches.. A full size truck drove past my portable.. I had about 6 inches of good ice, and 3 inches oh frozen slush..Let's see if he gets off. I could feel the ice crack when he drove by.

I was out on O'dowd x-mas day and I am a little worried for some of those driving on the lake. An area out if front of the launch was packed with perms and full size vehicles. There were still people parked on shore and this was the first time I had been on the lake this winter and was with my son so we desided to walk. We never drilled by the mass of people but we walked to the far side and set up about 100 yards south of the fishing dock. There was one perm near there but there was also only 7 1/2 inches of clear ice and 1/2 inch of frozen slush. This wasnt enough to hold the type of traffic that was on the other side. PLEASE ALL BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. Otherwise the fishing wasnt all that great and the snow was coming down so we didnt stay to long.

Good luck and be safe.

i was in the middle of the crowd to the north side of the access and it was 12inches of clear ice and 1 1/2 of slush ice but there was alot of vehicles going by me and headed for the islands going across the by the fishing dock is it really that much difference in ice thickness over the deep hole?

That was in about 12 FOW where we were along that shore. I am glad to here its much thicker or on the other side. I just hope for awhile people don't do much wondering to the far side.

Good luck and be safe.