Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baitshopboy

"Cleaning fish in Fish houses"

4 posts in this topic

I resently started a project for an english class and was just wondering/ need aome opions on this topic:

"What do you all think about the new regulation on cleaning fish in your fish house on special regulation lake?"

thanks in advance for your opion.... both sides would be great, because it is an open ended research paper.

I like it. The thing is, though, how many will take advantage of it? I personally, do not stay out on the ice for dinner very often and thus it doesn't really affect me. However, if I were to stay overnight and eat my legal catch for dinner, I am totally in favor for the ability to do that.

I do think that it will be extremely difficult for the DNR to handle, though. With the current regs in place, I don't see how they can really enforce the special regs lakes size(slot) limit, what with needing permission to enter a fish house and all. I'm sure they(the DNR) will find a way to handle this, but I don't yet know how.

I started fishing Mille Lacs a looong looong time ago (50's) with my dad and uncles. Many a great lunch was provided with fresh walleye sandwiches, or venison brats in the house. I think its great that people who are on the ice for a day or several can now fry up a nice meal of fresh fish, but as stated how is the enforcement going to work? The DNR is saying they will require the carcasses to be kept for measurement. Well that should work great for those who abide by all the laws. However its not that hard to dispose of the carcass in many ways if breaking the law is the intent. Fish have been cleaned and eaten on the ice for years even though it was illegal. I just don't know how this is going to play out over the long haul. Hopefully the majority will see this as a way to enjoy the expeirance and still maintain a good balance of right and wrong. Just my nickels worth. Bill

In general, of course, it is nearly impossible for fish and game law enforcement to actually enforce the law, especially when there are sooo many lakes for so few officers. In this regard, then, it seems to me that most laws regarding game and fish are 'idealistic' in so far as they rely for compliance not on the chance of being caught but on the hunter/fisherman's own moral code. Yes, this is true for ALL laws, not just those respecting hunting and fishing, but I think it more true for hunters/fishermen.

So, I am alright with the law because it seems that ALL laws respecting hunting and fishing are easy to break, not just this one. And I do think that people should be able to eat on the lake the fish they have caught that day, if only because it is not (usually) ok to "punish" those of us who abide by the law because others do not.

Just my 2 cents.

Carl