Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AceintheHole

Carls lake

19 posts in this topic

Any ice reports from carls lake ?

a few days ago there were portables( 2 i think?) but i have not heard any reports on ice or fish caught.

I was out in the northwest bay last night on about 4 to 5 inches. There were two other portables somewhat nearby, and I didn't see anyone on the main part ot the lake.

Fished in about 5-6 fow, managed a half-dozen crappies, with the biggest one being about 7 inches.

Thanks for the report. Thats the bay by the acsess right? How was the ice? (Slushy)?

Yes -That's the bay to the right of the access - I'll tell you though, all the panfish in Carls are small and the sunnies are full of those gross black spots in the meat. Prior is a better bet down in Paradise or up in the back end of Koeps where you can walk on from the bridge back there by Martinson Island.

Yes the fish in carls are not the best of quilty. I heard paridise does not look good right now 2-3 with lots of slush. Have not tryed Koeps before.

Does anyone know where the aerator is on carl's, thinking of going out this weekend and want to make sure I'm not anywhere near it.

There is no aeratar in carls or there has not been one in there in a few years.

Regarding the ice; yes it was slushy in places closer to the access. Somehow the temp went from +10 to -10 in the 3 hours I was there (according to my truck thermometer), and the slush was frozen on my way out.

Was fun to be on the ice for the first time, but I doubt I'll be back to that lake.

shooter_mcgavin -Did you check the ice any father out then the bay or over by shore line by the holding pond? If you don't mind me asking what were you using for bait (minnows or wax worms)? I'm probably just going to set up some tip-ups anyways and hope to check somthing decent.

I got them on a pink ratso. Something I picked up at Gander on the way. I recognized the name from people on here talking about it and thought I'd give it a try. Let me reiterate that I caught 6 crappies, with the biggest one being 7 inches shocked.gifgrin.gif don't want to start a stampede or anything.

I didn't go out further to check the ice, and I didn't see anyone else go out further either. I'm sure its more thin the further out you get.

I also talked with another angler nearby that night who got skunked.....and he's one of the regulars.

Fished Carls from 4:30 to 6:30 - Got skunked - And I know what I'm doing out there boys - It was the dead sea - Other guys did the same - Slush on 3 inches of ice. YUK!

If you know what you are doing, why are you on a lake with no fish in it? grin.gifgrin.gif J/K LOL

They ARE biting. wink.gif

Some one told me theres a pike rearing pond near carls. Oh how id love to find this bad boy.

Quote:

Some one told me theres a pike rearing pond near carls. Oh how id love to find this bad boy.

Don't get too excited. It's on the south end of the lake. There is a small shed where the aerator is/was and a concrete control structure. The rearing pond is on the south side of the dike. even in hig hwater years there is only a couple feet of water in there. It was probably dry this year.

Antbody hitting the main lake yet?

I was pretty far out past the point in about 12 feet of water, really slow bite. It seems like the fish are just turned off. Also regarding that northern holding pond there was a few feet of water in it this year but I know for a fact that there is not a fish in it. I can't wait for the bite to pick up and get some nice pearch and crappies.

any one know how much ice is out there or how much slush?

It's just amazing to me how big of pigs some so called sportsman are. Propane cylinders, beer cases pop bottles you name it was laying around on the ice.

There are no trash cans at the access so if you bring it take it home with you please. I highly doubt anyone on this site is responsible for this mess but maybe someone will know.

As for fishing, SLOW and LITTLE. As for ice I found one area had 8" next spot I went had 11". Areas that have a lot of snow cover will make you fill your drawers when you drive the atv over them as you will drop a good 3" into the slush.

Someone had an S-10 pick-up out there and I don't think that is wise so if you go be careful it really is not full size vehicle ice yet.